Translation control in cancer development and microenvironment interactions
Barcelona BioMed Conference
Cancer is the second leading cause of death worldwide, and a problem that escalates in an aging population. Although significant progress has been made in understanding the genetic and epigenetic determinants of cancer, little attention has been paid to post-transcriptional regulation of gene expression. The process of mRNA translation shapes the proteome and plays an essential role in the reprogramming of cancerous cells, holding the promise of novel anti-cancerous therapies. This conference will bring together basic experts working at the interphase of translation, cancer progression and microenvironment interactions, including basic research on post-transcriptional mechanisms, animal models and novel technologies, with the aim to provide an stimulating environment and illuminate discovery in this innovative field.
Organized in colaboration with:
Registration deadline: 15 April, 2020
There is no registration fee for this conference, but the number of participants is limited, with a number of seats saved for IRB Barcelona alumni. Previous registration is required.
Participants are invited to submit abstracts, a number of which will be selected for short talk and poster presentations. Abstracts should include a title, authors, affiliations, summary (max 250 words) and references.
The BARCELONA BIOMED CONFERENCE Translation control in cancer development and microenvironment interactions will be hosted by the Institut d'Estudis Catalans (IEC) in the heart of downtown Barcelona. Talks will take place in the Sala Prat de Riba.
Institut d'Estudis Catalans
C. del Carme, 47
Tel +34 932 701 620
Fax +34 932 701 180
How to reach the IEC:
From Barcelona El Prat airport:
A taxi from the airport to the IEC should take about 25 minutes and cost around 25-30 euros depending on traffic and luggage.
The RENFE train leaves the airport every half an hour and will take you to Passeig de Gracia station, in about 25 mins and costs 2.80 Euros for a single ticket. Change here for the Green Line metro to Liceu. The IEC is a 10-minute walk from the metro station (see map).
A transfer service called "Aerobus" will also take you from the airport to Plaça Catalunya and costs 4.25 Euros. The journey time is around 30 minutes. The IEC is a 10-minute walk from the Plaça Catalunya (see map).
From Girona airport:
The "Barcelona bus" runs a transfer service between Girona Airport and Barcelona's city centre, scheduled to coincide with Ryan Air flights. The bus stops right outside the airport and will take you to Estacio d'Autobusos Barcelona Nord (Barcelona's main bus terminal), with a journey time of about 1 hr 10 min. The nearest Metro stop to the bus station is Arc De Triomf, which is a 5-10 minute walk from the bus station (exit the bus station Sortida Nàpols). Take the Red Line (L1) to Plaça Catalunya. The IEC is a 10-minute walk from the Plaça Catalunya (see map).
From Sants train station:
Transfer to the metro Red Line (L1), and get off at laça Catalunya. The IEC is a 10-minute walk from the Plaça Catalunya (see map).
If you are arriving locally:
Plaça Catalunya (lines 1 and 3)
Liceu (line 3)
Plaça Catalunya (train from Sarrià)
41, 55, 141 (Plaça Catalunya stop)
14, 18, 59, 91 (Rambla stop)
Barcelona Metropolitan Transport webiste (with metro and bus maps)
Speakers will be lodged at the Hotel Catalonia Ramblas
c/ Pelayo, 28
Telephone: +34 93 316 84 00
Fax: +34 93 316 84 01
A list of additional hotels within walking distance of the IEC can be found at: http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/hotels/hotelmaps/ramblas-hotel-barcelona.html (The IEC is located near the blue point 08/5 star). Rates will vary depending on choice of hotel and season. Please check with the hotel of your choice directly for the best offer.
Another possibility is the Residencia dels Investigadors (Investigators Residence Hall), which has an agreement with the CSIC (Spanish National Research Council) and the Catalan Government. It is located just behind the IEC, and is available for short-term stays. Rates range between 70 euros for a single room, to 99 euros for a double room.
Residencia dels Investigadors
C/ Hospital, 64
Telephone: +34 93 443 86 10
Fax: +34 93 442 82 02
Participants registered for events in the Barcelona BioMed series should contact the hotels and residences directly to arrange bookings and payment.
- Raúl Méndez, IRB Barcelona/ ICREA (Barcelona, Spain)
- Alexandre David, IGF (Montpellier, France)
- Fátima Gebauer, CRG (Barcelona, Spain)
- George Stoecklin, Heidelberg University & ZMBH (Mannheim, Germany)
List of speakers:
- Reuven Agami, The Netherlands Cancer Institute (Amsterdam, The Netherlands)
- Eduard Batlle, IRB Barcelona/ICREA (Barcelona, Spain)
- Stefano Biffo, INGM "Romeo ed Enrica Invernizzi", University of Milano (Milano, Italy)
- Sarah Blagden, Oncology Medical Sciences Division, University of Oxford (Oxford, UK)
- Kim De Keersmaecker, KU Leuven (Leuven, Belgium)
- Jean Jacques Diaz, Cancer Research Center of Lyon (Lyon, France)
- Davide Ruggero, University of California San Francisco (San Francisco, CA, USA)
- Robert J. Schneider, NYU School of Medicine (New York, NY, USA)
- Marisol Soengas, CNIO (Madrid, Spain)
- Nahum Sonenberg, Goodman Cancer Research Center, McGill University (Montreal, Qc, Canada)
- Aurelio Teleman, German Cancer Research Center- DKFZ (Heidelberg, Germany)
- Martin Turner, Babraham Institute (Cambridge, UK)
- Stephan Vagner, Institut Curie (Paris, France)
- Shobha Vasudevan, Massachusetts General Hospital (Boston, MA, USA)
- Hans-Guido Wendel, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (New York, NY, USA)
- Anne Willis, MRC Toxicology Unit (Leicester, UK)