13 June 2013
IRB Barcelona takes biomedicine to the cityís science fair
This year IRB Barcelona researchers once again collaborate through four activities in the Science and Technology Fair that is being held this weekend, 15 and 16 June, in the Ciutadella Park in Barcelona.
13 June 2013
Discovered a hidden physical code that modulates genome expression
11 June 2013
Chemists furthering the life sciences
The congress “Chemistry for Life Sciences”, being held in Barcelona, is hosting more than 200 international chemists, who answer questions and offer solutions to biomedical problems.
The European congress has been organised by IRB Barcelona researchers headed by Ernest Giralt, coordinator of the Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology Programme.
7 June 2013
A 6-million euro European project to study stem cell aging
• Headed by EMBL in Germany, the consortium “SyStemAge” seeks to identify the molecular mechanisms behind aging and the consequences of this process, and also to propose biomarkers to combat age-related diseases.
• The consortium involves clinical researchers, biologists specialized in two types of blood cancer, systems biologists, and biotech managers.
• Patrick Aloy, researcher at IRB Barcelona, will integrate the biological and clinical data to build dynamic maps of genes and proteins involved in the processes addressed in this study.
3 June 2013
SUPPRESSTEM, five institutes and pharmaceutical companies join forces against cancer
Each year about 330,000 Europeans are diagnosed with colorectal cancer, a disease with a mortality rate of 44%. Many of the new treatments fail in clinical assays, and colorectal cancer metastasis is largely incurable
14 May 2013
Amongst the best in cancer and metastasis studies
The journal Cancer Cell ranks the article on colon cancer metastasis by Eduard Batlle and Elena Sancho among the best 10 in 2012.
3 May 2013
How to get natural products ďfrom the labĒ
A new technique from IRB Barcelona combines chemistry and biology to produce an exact copy of the natural molecule Thiocoraline.
Thiocoraline is a potent anti-cancer agent that is chemically very complex. It was isolated by PharmaMar from the actinobacteria Micromonospora marina, which in turn was isolated in 1997 from a sea sponge from the Indian Ocean.
23 April 2013
Where is medicine headed?
IRB Barcelona participates for the ninth time in the “Live Research” Fair, an event held in La Pedrera in Barcelona that seeks to bring science closer to the general public.
22 April 2013
Doing business in Chicago
IRB Barcelona participates in the BIO International Convention, the main international meeting for biotechnology
19 April 2013
An IRB Barcelona study contributes to the understanding and prevention of the side effects caused by drugs
- This is the first study that studies and quantifies 1,600 known adverse effects of drugs currently on the market.
- The scientists Miquel Duran and Patrick Aloy provide a description of the molecular processes responsible for more than 1,000 secondary effects.
- This knowledge, which is available to the scientific community, may be of great use to minimize and predict adverse effects during drug design.