IRB Barcelona, advancing the frontiers of biomedical research
- Established in 2005 by the Ministry of Innovation, Universities and Business and the Ministry of Health of the Government of Catalonia, the University of Barcelona and the Barcelona Science Park.
- IRB Barcelona engages in basic research to deliver on the promise of biomedical breakthrough. To do this, we use multidisciplinary approaches that bring together biology, chemistry, medicine, physics, computer science and many other fields.
- The convergence of biology, chemistry and computation at IRB Barcelona provides a unique opportunity for the translation of basic biomedical research into innovation.
- Partnership and joint research unit with the nearby Barcelona Supercomputing Center, allowing the two institutes to share facilities, resources and staff.
- Located at the Barcelona Science Park on the University of Barcelona campus in the centre of the dynamic capital of Catalonia, rich in culture and tradition.
- An integral part of the "Bioregion of Catalonia", which includes universities, science parks, hospitals, a network of research centres of excellence, and numerous biotech companies.
23 Research Groups in five interdisciplinary Research Programmes
Cell and Developmental Biology
Gene expression analyses, developmental molecular biology, cell biology, functional genomics and proteomics of cell and embryo development and tissue regeneration.
Structural and Computational Biology
The structural analysis of macromolecules and their interactions using X-rays, NMR, electron microscopy, macromolecular biophysics, bioinformatics and molecular modeling.
Translational research into the molecular bases of metabolic and genetic diseases, the study of diagnostic or therapeutic targets and the functional genomics and proteomics of pathologies.
Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology
The design and synthesis of small molecules and macromolecules, emphasizing the building of libraries and the optimisation of the production of synthetic compounds; developing biotechnologies for molecular selection directed at therapeutic targets; understanding the relationships between drugs and their targets.
The study of diverse aspects of tumour initiation and progression, the relationship between stem cells and cancer, and the identification of the genetic programmes that drive tissue-specific metastasis. Networking with major clinical oncology centres.
Scientists have access to a series of IRB Barcelona Core Facilities
- Protein Expression
- Mass Spectrometry
- Mouse Mutant
- Functional Genomics
- Advanced Microscopy
...and a wide range of scientific platforms and technologies available through the Barcelona Science Park and the University of Barcelona.
- Unique opportunities for young and established scientist in carrying out our mission of promoting scientific excellence, fostering large projects with other local, national and international research institutes, translating basic research into innovation and providing high-level training in the biomedical sciences to staff, students and visitors.
Opportunities for students
- Close mentoring for PhD students in an international, multidisciplinary environment.
- Access to scientific services and core facilities.
- Academic and industrial contacts.
- Guest lectures by the world’s leading scientists.
- Weekly seminars and journal clubs.
Outstanding activities within the Barcelona BioMed Series
A palette of Science and Society activities
- Outreach and education activities for teachers, schools, and the general public.
- Press and media relations.
- Lectures, workshops and panels on themes related to biomedicine in society.