IRB Barcelona PhD Programme fellowships
IRB Barcelona is looking for young scientists from the national and international community who wish to do their PhD in a stimulating environment, rich in technological resources and campus life. We encourage applications from highly motivated biologists, biochemists, chemists, physicists, pharmacologists and computational scientists with outstanding qualifications. Successful candidates will join research groups with top-level scientists and will carry out their research in cutting-edge areas of biomedicine.
For the 2013-2014 academic year we offer a total of 6 doctoral fellowships to carry out research with the following group leaders at IRB Barcelona:
- Fernando Albericio: Combinatorial Chemistry
- Angel R. Nebreda: Signalling and Cell Cycle Laboratory
- Maria J. Macias: Protein NMR Spectroscopy Laboratory
- Marco Milán: Development and Growth Control Laboratory
- Lluis Ribas de Pouplana: Gene Translation Laboratory
- Ernest Giralt: Peptides and Proteins
1. Applicants should have finished one of the following options by September 2013:
- a) the studies that lead to an official Spanish (or from another country of European higher Education Area) university degree in Biology, Biochemistry, Pharmacy, Physics, Medicine, Chemistry or related areas and that have 300 credits (ECTS) of an official university degree, of which at least 60 must correspond to master level.
- b) a degree in a non-Spanish university not adapted to the European Higher Education Area that give access to doctoral studies in Biology, Biochemistry, Pharmacy, Physics, Medicine, Chemistry or related areas.
2. Applicants should have obtained the degree after January 2010.
3. Applicants should not be PhD students at IRB Barcelona.
How to apply
Applicants should complete and submit the online form available at http://phd.irbbarcelona.org/
Applicants will be asked to attach the following documents:
- Curriculum vitae
- A motivation letter
- A scanned copy of the student’s certified Academic Record. These documents must show the grades attained in exam periods and should be presented in English, Spanish or Catalan. Sworn translation is needed if the certificate is written in other language.
- Any additional files considered relevant to the application.
- Two recommendation letters from university lecturers or scientists with who the applicant has studied or worked. Only letters with official letterhead and signature will be accepted.
Students will be required to provide a brief summary of work experience and to request letters of recommendation from two scientists who are familiar with their academic work and who can judge their potential as a PhD student. Letters requesting recommendations may be downloaded and sent to potential referees. Only letters with official letterhead and signature will be accepted. Referees must send their letters directly to IRB Barcelona either by e-mail or airmail at the address below. Candidates are responsible for ensuring that referees submit these letters. Applications without them will not be processed.
Applicants should indicate up to two research groups in which they would like to work, in order of preference. More information on the research activities of each group can be found on the IRB Barcelona web pages.
Applicants should submit information wherever possible in English (CV, motivation letter, summary of work experience). If the certified academic records are not in Catalan, Spanish or English applicants should also attach a sworn translation in one of the above mentioned languages.
Students are selected from a pool of highly qualified applicants on the basis of academic and technical excellence.
The Director of IRB Barcelona will set up a selection committee consisting of IRB Barcelona group leaders that will review the on-line applications. Short-listed candidates will visit IRB Barcelona for interviews on 22 July 2013. Offers of admission will be made to the successful candidates shortly after the interview period. Students should expect to take up their positions at IRB Barcelona by September 2, 2013.
Applicants who have not been successful but have received a positive evaluation will be put on a waiting list to cover possible renunciations.
Deadline for applications
Deadline for receipt of completed applications is Friday, June 14, 2013.
Enquiries and letters of recommendation should be addressed to:
Patricia Nadal Jordá
Institute for Research in Biomedicine
Parc Científic de Barcelona
C/ Baldiri Reixac 10
08028 Barcelona, Spain