IRB Barcelona International Postdoctoral Programme
The call is open. Apply now!
The IRB Barcelona International Postdoctoral Programme (IRBPostPro 2.0) aims to attract highly talented scientists seeking advanced research training and career development opportunities in a competitive international environment.
Eight two-year competitive fellowships will be offered in this second international call supported by EU Marie Curie Actions. Candidates should start by January 2014.
- Applicants must hold a doctorate degree before the start of the fellowship but not necessarily when applying.
- Candidates are eligible for a period of 5 years following successful completion of their PhD at the date of the call deadline. Extensions to the 5-year rule are allowed for applicants whose academic career has been interrupted for maternity (or paternity) leave or other special circumstances such as mandatory military service or illness. These circumstances will be indicated in the application form in the field "Additional Notes" and must be documented. Extensions will be of one year per birth in case of maternity (or paternity) leave. The extension in the case of illness or mandatory military service will depend on its duration.
- Candidates of all nationalities are eligible, but they must comply with the trans-national mobility rule, meaning that those researchers who have resided or carried out their main activity in Spain for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the call deadline are not eligible. Short stays, such as holidays, will not be taken into account.
- Candidates who have previously done research at IRB Barcelona for more than four (4) months before the application deadline will not be eligible. The eligibility criteria must be fulfilled at the time of the call deadline. If it becomes clear before, during or after the evaluation phase that one or more of the eligibility criteria have not been fulfilled, the proposal is declared ineligible and is withdrawn from any further examination.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants should complete and submit the online form available at http://postdoc.irbbarcelona.org/. Please carefully read the instructions on the homepage of the online form.
Applicants will be asked to attach the following documents:
- Curriculum vitae (including a list of publications, conferences, projects, awards, academic information...).
- PhD certificate or official notification of the award. If you do not have the doctorate degree at the time of the application, you must provide an official academic record of the studies completed (degree or MsC). In this case, you will need to attach a letter of commitment stating that you will have obtained your phD degree by the fellowship incorporation date.
- Statement of Research Interests, including a short proposal of a prospective research project to be carried out at IRB Barcelona. Candidates for the IRBPostPro 2.0 are invited to select one of the listed projects and discuss their application with the prospective IRB Barcelona group leaders. The 2013 Predefined IRBPostPro 2.0 projects are available here. Alternatively, applicants may suggest an unlisted project. Please use the Statement of Research Interests template.
- At least two letters of reference.
- Any additional file you consider relevant to your application.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
The deadline for the receipt of completed applications is Wednesday, May 29, 2013 (23.59 pm local time).
The selection of the candidates will be performed by an independent international peer review selection committee composed by a total of 10 external experts from recognized national and international universities and research centres.
When assessing each application, the selection committee will evaluate the candidate’s scientific background and qualifications. For details on the evaluation process, please refer to the Call Text.
Selected candidates will be invited to IRB Barcelona for a two-day interview. The evaluation will be based on an individual presentation by each candidate to the members of the committee. This presentation will focus on the candidate’s current research and interests and will be followed by an individual interview of the candidate with the group leader of the research group in which the candidate wishes to carry out his/her research. The final decision will be taken in a consensus meeting composed of members of the selection committee.
The top eight candidates will be offered a contract and invited to sign an acceptance letter.
WHAT WE OFFER?
More than 450 people from 35 different countries currently work at IRB Barcelona. Our research body is structured into research groups integrated in 5 complementary programmes and supported by six high-performance technology platforms.
One of the main objectives of IRB Barcelona is to train future scientific leaders in a competitive international environment. IRB Barcelona focuses its efforts on developing the scientific careers of more than 100 postdocs and 130 PhD students. The advanced research training programme includes, among others, specific scientific and technology courses and seminars, lab management workshops, media training and career development sessions.
Other initiatives, such as the strategic collaborations with the University of Barcelona, the Barcelona Supercomputing Center (BSC), and the major hospitals in the area, and the organization of the international Barcelona BioMed Conferences and seminars, funded by the BBVA Foundation, complete the offer of our Institute.
Postdoctoral fellows will also benefit from the support of the IRB Barcelona Postdoctoral Community. The goals of the IRB Barcelona Postdoctoral Council are to facilitate interaction, both scientific and social, among postdocs from across the Institute, and to liaise with IRB Barcelona administration regarding the organization of activities and networks of interest and value for the postdoctoral community.
Located at the Barcelona Science Park (PCB), IRB Barcelona benefits from entrepreneurial dynamism and excellence in science where researchers, private companies and industry have the opportunity to exchange ideas, use the latest technology, and share the same space of communication, specifically designed to boost the transfer of knowledge and technology. All these characteristics confer postdoctoral fellows a competitive advantage for professional development.
Postdoctoral fellows will be offered competitive salaries, including a travel and mobility allowance. For details on the salaries and other benefits, please refer to the Call Text.
Enquiries and letters of recommendation should be addressed to:
Clara Caminal, PhD
Research and Academic Administration Department
Institute for Research in Biomedicine
Parc Científic de Barcelona
C/ Baldiri Reixac 10
08028 Barcelona, Spain
Phone +34 93 403 48 06
The IRB Barcelona Postdoctoral Programme is supported by IRB Barcelona and an EU Marie Curie Actions Cofund grant.