Immunotherapy beyond cancer. A cure for age-related diseases
Barcelona BioMed Conference
Stimulation of the immune system by blocking immunosuppressive checkpoints has shown spectacular impact in cancer therapy. There is increasing evidence that immunotherapy might elicit similar outcomes in non-oncological settings. This is the case, for example, of neurodegenerative disorders where blockade of immune checkpoints has beneficial effects. More generally, aging is associated with a progressive unbalance in the composition and activity of the different components of the immune system. Restoring proficient immune responses might reduce the risk of morbidity associated to aging and limit the progression of degenerative diseases. This conference will be a forum for the discussion of cutting-edge research into this promising field, covering a broad spectrum of non-oncological pathologies related to aging.
Guido Kroemer, Centre de Recherche des Cordeliers (Paris, France)
Manuel Serrano, IRB Barcelona/ICREA (Barcelona, Spain)
Organized in colaboration with:
Registration deadline: 20 September, 2019
There is no registration fee for this conference, but the number of participants is limited, with a number of seats saved for IRB Barcelona alumni. Previous registration is required.
Participants are invited to submit abstracts, a number of which will be selected for short talk and poster presentations. Abstracts should include a title, authors, affiliations, summary (max 250 words) and references.
The BARCELONA BIOMED CONFERENCE Immunotherapy beyond cancer. A cure for age-related diseases will be hosted by the Institut d'Estudis Catalans (IEC) in the heart of downtown Barcelona. Talks will take place in the Sala Prat de Riba.
Institut d'Estudis Catalans
C. del Carme, 47
Tel +34 932 701 620
Fax +34 932 701 180
How to reach the IEC:
From Barcelona El Prat airport:
A taxi from the airport to the IEC should take about 25 minutes and cost around 25-30 euros depending on traffic and luggage.
The RENFE train leaves the airport every half an hour and will take you to Passeig de Gracia station, in about 25 mins and costs 2.80 Euros for a single ticket. Change here for the Green Line metro to Liceu. The IEC is a 10-minute walk from the metro station (see map).
A transfer service called "Aerobus" will also take you from the airport to Plaça Catalunya and costs 4.25 Euros. The journey time is around 30 minutes. The IEC is a 10-minute walk from the Plaça Catalunya (see map).
From Girona airport:
The "Barcelona bus" runs a transfer service between Girona Airport and Barcelona's city centre, scheduled to coincide with Ryan Air flights. The bus stops right outside the airport and will take you to Estacio d'Autobusos Barcelona Nord (Barcelona's main bus terminal), with a journey time of about 1 hr 10 min. The nearest Metro stop to the bus station is Arc De Triomf, which is a 5-10 minute walk from the bus station (exit the bus station Sortida Nàpols). Take the Red Line (L1) to Plaça Catalunya. The IEC is a 10-minute walk from the Plaça Catalunya (see map).
From Sants train station:
Transfer to the metro Red Line (L1), and get off at laça Catalunya. The IEC is a 10-minute walk from the Plaça Catalunya (see map).
If you are arriving locally:
Plaça Catalunya (lines 1 and 3)
Liceu (line 3)
Plaça Catalunya (train from Sarrià)
41, 55, 141 (Plaça Catalunya stop)
14, 18, 59, 91 (Rambla stop)
Barcelona Metropolitan Transport webiste (with metro and bus maps)
Speakers will be lodged at the Hotel Catalonia Ramblas
c/ Pelayo, 28
Telephone: +34 93 316 84 00
Fax: +34 93 316 84 01
A list of additional hotels within walking distance of the IEC can be found at: http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/hotels/hotelmaps/ramblas-hotel-barcelona.html (The IEC is located near the blue point 08/5 star). Rates will vary depending on choice of hotel and season. Please check with the hotel of your choice directly for the best offer.
Another possibility is the Residencia dels Investigadors (Investigators Residence Hall), which has an agreement with the CSIC (Spanish National Research Council) and the Catalan Government. It is located just behind the IEC, and is available for short-term stays. Rates range between 70 euros for a single room, to 99 euros for a double room.
Residencia dels Investigadors
C/ Hospital, 64
Telephone: +34 93 443 86 10
Fax: +34 93 442 82 02
Participants registered for events in the Barcelona BioMed series should contact the hotels and residences directly to arrange bookings and payment.
- Guido Kroemer, Centre de Recherche des Cordeliers (Paris, France)
- Manuel Serrano, IRB Barcelona/ICREA (Barcelona, Spain)
List of speakers:
- Andrea Ablasser, EPFL (Lausanne, Switzerland)
- Alvar Agustí, Hospital Clínic (Barcelona, Spain)
- Andrea Alimonti, Institute of Oncology Research (Bellinzona, Switzerland)
- Anne Brunet, Stanford University School of Medicine (Stanford, California, USA)
- Kyung A. Cho, Chonnam National University Medical School (Hwasun, Korea)
- Ted M. Dawson, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (Baltimore, MD, USA)
- Vishwa Deep Dixit, Yale School of Medicine (New Haven, CT, USA)
- Wonder P. Drake, Vanderbilt University Medical Center (Nashville, TN, USA)
- Monica Girotra, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (New York, NY, USA)
- Andrei Gudkov, Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center (Buffalo, NY, USA)
- Michael Karin, University of California San Diego (La Jolla, CA, USA)
- Scott W. Lowe, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (New York, NY, USA)
- Alberto Mantovani, Istituto Clinico Humanitas IRCCS (Milano, Italy)
- Michal Schwartz, Weizmann Institute of Science (Rehovot, Israel)
- Irv Weissman, Stanford School of Medicine (Stanford, CA, USA)
- Cornelia Weyand, Stanford Health Care (Palo Alto, CA, USA)
- Tony Wyss-Coray, Stanford University School of Medicine (Stanford, California, USA)