Centrosomes, cilia and cell cycle in development and disease
Barcelona BioMed Conference
In recent years proteomic analyses, functional screening, and genome sequencing have not only identified the parts lists of important cellular structures of the microtubule cytoskeleton, such as centrosomes and cilia, but has also revealed their involvement in cancer, their connection to central regulators of cell cycle and cell fate, and their involvement in preventing a range of developmental and degenerative disorders. This meeting will gather leaders in related fields to discuss the latest advances in understanding how the components of centrosomes and cilia are related to cellular function, connected to nuclear signal transduction processes that control genome integrity and how this information can be used to unravel the molecular basis ofcomplex hereditary diseases.
Organized in colaboration with:
Registration extended deadline 15 May, 2018
Participants are invited to submit abstracts, a number of which will be selected for short talk and poster presentations. Abstracts should include a title, authors, affiliations, summary (max 250 words) and references.
The BARCELONA BIOMED CONFERENCE on Centrosomes, cilia and cell cycle in development and disease will be hosted by the Institut d'Estudis Catalans (IEC) in the heart of downtown Barcelona. Talks will take place in the Sala Prat de Riba.
Institut d'Estudis Catalans
C. del Carme, 47
Tel +34 932 701 620
Fax +34 932 701 180
How to reach the IEC:
From Barcelona El Prat airport:
A taxi from the airport to the IEC should take about 25 minutes and cost around 25-30 euros depending on traffic and luggage.
The RENFE train leaves the airport every half an hour and will take you to Passeig de Gracia station, in about 25 mins and costs 2.80 Euros for a single ticket. Change here for the Green Line metro to Liceu. The IEC is a 10-minute walk from the metro station (see map).
A transfer service called "Aerobus" will also take you from the airport to Plaça Catalunya and costs 4.25 Euros. The journey time is around 30 minutes. The IEC is a 10-minute walk from the Plaça Catalunya (see map).
From Girona airport:
The "Barcelona bus" runs a transfer service between Girona Airport and Barcelona's city centre, scheduled to coincide with Ryan Air flights. The bus stops right outside the airport and will take you to Estacio d'Autobusos Barcelona Nord (Barcelona's main bus terminal), with a journey time of about 1 hr 10 min. The nearest Metro stop to the bus station is Arc De Triomf, which is a 5-10 minute walk from the bus station (exit the bus station Sortida Nàpols). Take the Red Line (L1) to Plaça Catalunya. The IEC is a 10-minute walk from the Plaça Catalunya (see map).
From Sants train station:
Transfer to the metro Red Line (L1), and get off at laça Catalunya. The IEC is a 10-minute walk from the Plaça Catalunya (see map).
If you are arriving locally:
Plaça Catalunya (lines 1 and 3)
Liceu (line 3)
Plaça Catalunya (train from Sarrià)
41, 55, 141 (Plaça Catalunya stop)
14, 18, 59, 91 (Rambla stop)
Barcelona Metropolitan Transport webiste (with metro and bus maps)
Speakers will be lodged at the Hotel Catalonia Ramblas
c/ Pelayo, 28
Telephone: +34 93 316 84 00
Fax: +34 93 316 84 01
A list of additional hotels within walking distance of the IEC can be found at: http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/hotels/hotelmaps/ramblas-hotel-barcelona.html (The IEC is located near the blue point 08/5 star). Rates will vary depending on choice of hotel and season. Please check with the hotel of your choice directly for the best offer.
Another possibility is the Residencia dels Investigadors (Investigators Residence Hall), which has an agreement with the CSIC (Spanish National Research Council) and the Catalan Government. It is located just behind the IEC, and is available for short-term stays. Rates range between 70 euros for a single room, to 99 euros for a double room.
Residencia dels Investigadors
C/ Hospital, 64
Telephone: +34 93 443 86 10
Fax: +34 93 442 82 02
Participants registered for events in the Barcelona BioMed series should contact the hotels and residences directly to arrange bookings and payment.
- Renata Basto, Institut Marie Curie (Paris, France)
- Jens Lüders, IRB Barcelona (Barcelona, Spain)
- Travis Stracker, IRB Barcelona (Barcelona, Spain)
List of speakers:
- Fiona Francis, École des Neurosciences de Paris Île-de-France (Paris, France)
- Fanni Gergely, University of Cambridge (Cambridge, UK)
- Sarah Goetz, Duke University (Durham, USA)
- Cayetano Gonzalez, IRB Barcelona (Barcelona, Spain)
- Jay Gopalakrishnan, University of Cologne (Cologne, Germany)
- Andrew Holland, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (Baltimore, MD, USA)
- Andrew Jackson, University of Edinburgh (Edinburgh, UK)
- Cecilia W. Lo, University of Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh, PA, USA)
- Zoi Lygerou, University of Patras (Patras, Greece)
- Peter McKinnon, St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital (Memphis, TN, USA)
- Gregory J. Pazour, University of Massachusetts Medical School (Worcester, MA, USA)
- Laurence Pelletier, Lunenfeld-Tanenbaum Research Institute (Toronto, Ontario, Canada)
- John Rouse, School of Life Sciences- University of Dundee (Dundee, Scotland, UK)
- Nathalie Spassky, Institut de Biologie de l’École Normale Supérieure (Paris, France)
- Tim Stearns, Stanford University (Stanford, California, USA)
- Bryan Tsou, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (NY, USA)