Transporters and other Molecular Machines
Miquel Coll and Manuel Palacín, IRB Barcelona (Barcelona, Spain) and John E. Walker, Wellcome Trust (Cambridge, UK)
Barcelona, Spain. 17-19 November, 2014
Transporters and other membrane molecular machines (structures and single molecule analysis)
Research on membrane proteins is generating new atomic structures with high rhythm at present. This wealth of information is combined with computational biology and single molecule analysis to generate a comprehensive knowledge about how molecular machines work within the membrane. New technological approaches and breakthroughs are facilitating our access to these machines, resulting in high resolution structures of eukaryotic transporters and even membrane protein complexes.
The focus of the conference will be on non-rotor pumps, rotary ATPases, and secondary and ABC transporters. These molecular machines will be presented from different viewpoints including structural and computational biology, single molecule analysis and biomedicine. New experimental approaches towards membrane protein structural studies will be a specific target of the conference.
Organized in colaboration with:
Extended deadline for registrations: November 11, 2014
There is no registration fee for this conference, but the number of participants is limited.
Participants are invited to submit abstracts, a number of which will be selected for short talk and poster presentations. Abstracts should include a title, authors, affiliations, summary (max 250 words) and references.
The BARCELONA BIOMED CONFERENCE on Transporters and other Molecular Machines will be hosted by the Institut d'Estudis Catalans (IEC) in the heart of downtown Barcelona. Talks will take place in the Sala Prat de Riba.
Institut d'Estudis Catalans
C. del Carme, 47
Tel +34 932 701 620
Fax +34 932 701 180
How to reach the IEC:
From Barcelona El Prat airport:
A taxi from the airport to the IEC should take about 25 minutes and cost around 25-30 euros depending on traffic and luggage.
The RENFE train leaves the airport every half an hour and will take you to Passeig de Gracia station, in about 25 mins and costs 2.80 Euros for a single ticket. Change here for the Green Line metro to Liceu. The IEC is a 10-minute walk from the metro station (see map).
A transfer service called "Aerobus" will also take you from the airport to Plaça Catalunya and costs 4.25 Euros. The journey time is around 30 minutes. The IEC is a 10-minute walk from the Plaça Catalunya (see map).
From Girona airport:
The "Barcelona bus" runs a transfer service between Girona Airport and Barcelona's city centre, scheduled to coincide with Ryan Air flights. The bus stops right outside the airport and will take you to Estacio d'Autobusos Barcelona Nord (Barcelona's main bus terminal), with a journey time of about 1 hr 10 min. The nearest Metro stop to the bus station is Arc De Triomf, which is a 5-10 minute walk from the bus station (exit the bus station Sortida Nàpols). Take the Red Line (L1) to Plaça Catalunya. The IEC is a 10-minute walk from the Plaça Catalunya (see map).
From Sants train station:
Transfer to the metro Red Line (L1), and get off at laça Catalunya. The IEC is a 10-minute walk from the Plaça Catalunya (see map).
If you are arriving locally:
Plaça Catalunya (lines 1 and 3)
Liceu (line 3)
Plaça Catalunya (train from Sarrià)
41, 55, 141 (Plaça Catalunya stop)
14, 18, 59, 91 (Rambla stop)
Barcelona Metropolitan Transport webiste (with metro and bus maps)
Speakers will be lodged at the Hotel Catalonia Ramblas
c/ Pelayo, 28
Telephone: +34 93 316 84 00
Fax: +34 93 316 84 01
A list of additional hotels within walking distance of the IEC can be found at: http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/hotels/hotelmaps/ramblas-hotel-barcelona.html (The IEC is located near the blue point 08/5 star). Rates will vary depending on choice of hotel and season. Please check with the hotel of your choice directly for the best offer.
Another possibility is the Residencia dels Investigadors (Investigators Residence Hall), which has an agreement with the CSIC (Spanish National Research Council) and the Catalan Government. It is located just behind the IEC, and is available for short-term stays. Rates range between 70 euros for a single room, to 99 euros for a double room.
Residencia dels Investigadors
C/ Hospital, 64
Telephone: +34 93 443 86 10
Fax: +34 93 442 82 02
Participants registered for events in the Barcelona BioMed series should contact the hotels and residences directly to arrange bookings and payment.
- Miquel Coll/Manuel Palacín, IRB Barcelona (Barcelona, Spain)
- Sir John E. Walker, MRC Mitochondrial Biology Unit (Cambridge, UK)
- Sonia Antoranz Contera, University of Oxford (Oxford, UK)
- Judith Armitage, University of Oxford (Oxford, UK)
- Scott Blanchard, Cornell University (New York, USA)
- Enrica Bordignon, Freie Universität Berlin (Berlin, Germany)
- Maike Bublitz, Aarhus University (Aarhus C, Denmark)
- David Drew, Stockholm University (Stockholm, Sweden)
- Pontus Gourdon, Aarhus University (Aarhus C, Denmark)
- Edmund R.S. Kunji, MRC Mitochondrial Biology Unit (Cambridge, UK)
- Vinoth Kumar, MRC-Laboratory of Molecular Biology (Cambridge, UK)
- M. Gregor Madej, UCLA Molecular Cellular & Integrative Physiology (Los Angeles, CA, USA)
- Thomas Meier, Max-Planck Institute of Biophysics (Frankfurt am Main, Germany)
- Takeshi Murata, Chiba University (Chiba , Japan)
- Poul Nissen, Aarhus University (Aarhus C, Denmark)
- Aravind Penmatsa, Oregon Health & Science University (Portland, Oregon, USA)
- Bert Poolman, University of Groningen (Groningen, The Netherlands)
- John R Riordan, UNC School of Medicine (Chapel Hill, NC, USA)
- Robert Tampé, University of Frankfurt (Frankfurt, Germany)
- David D. Thomas, University of Minnesota (MN, Minneapolis, USA)
- Chikashi Toyshima, The University of Tokyo (Tokyo, Japan)
- Özkan Yildiz, Max Planck Institute of Biophysics (Frankfurt am Main, Germany)
- Christine Ziegler, Max Planck Institute of Biophysics (Frankfurt am Main, Germany)
- Markus Zweckstetter, Max Planck Institute for Biophysical Chemistry (Göttingen, Germany)