Lluís Ribas (IRB Barcelona) and Peter Dedon (MIT Center for Environmental Health Science) Barcelona, Spain. 2-4 December, 2013
Research on gene translation is beginning to converge with studies on the regulatory mechanisms of cell cycle and metabolism. Transfer RNAs, the adaptor molecules of the genetic code, are emerging as key players in the many mechanisms of control that tightly couple protein synthesis to the main signaling pathways that modulate cell biology. As these connections continue to be discovered it is becoming increasingly necessary to establish a fluid dialogue between laboratories that approach the problem from its many different perspectives. This conference is designed to serve this purpose.
The focus of the conference will be on the growing number of connections between tRNA and cell biology and disease. We have assembled leading researchers whose work stems from or leads to tRNA in order to promote a multidisciplinary discussion, and to stimulate connections and collaborations that can contribute to a better understanding of the biological networks that converge or rely on tRNAs. Anyone with an interest in the mechanisms of control of gene translation and its many functional ramifications is invited.
Organized in colaboration with:
Registration deadline: November 10, 2013
There is no registration fee for this conference, but the number of participants is limited.
Participants are invited to submit abstracts, a number of which will be selected for short talk and poster presentations. Abstracts should include a title, authors, affiliations, summary (max 250 words) and references.
The BARCELONA BIOMED CONFERENCE on GENE TRANSLATION: FIDELITY AND QUALITY CONTROL will be hosted by the Institut d'Estudis Catalans (IEC) in the heart of downtown Barcelona. Talks will take place in the Sala Prat de Riba.
Institut d'Estudis Catalans
C. del Carme, 47
Tel +34 932 701 620
Fax +34 932 701 180
How to reach the IEC:
From Barcelona El Prat airport:
A taxi from the airport to the IEC should take about 25 minutes and cost around 25-30 euros depending on traffic and luggage.
The RENFE train leaves the airport every half an hour and will take you to Passeig de Gracia station, in about 25 mins and costs 2.80 Euros for a single ticket. Change here for the Green Line metro to Liceu. The IEC is a 10-minute walk from the metro station (see map).
A transfer service called "Aerobus" will also take you from the airport to Plaça Catalunya and costs 4.25 Euros. The journey time is around 30 minutes. The IEC is a 10-minute walk from the Plaça Catalunya (see map).
From Girona airport:
The "Barcelona bus" runs a transfer service between Girona Airport and Barcelona's city centre, scheduled to coincide with Ryan Air flights. The bus stops right outside the airport and will take you to Estacio d'Autobusos Barcelona Nord (Barcelona's main bus terminal), with a journey time of about 1 hr 10 min. The nearest Metro stop to the bus station is Arc De Triomf, which is a 5-10 minute walk from the bus station (exit the bus station Sortida Nàpols). Take the Red Line (L1) to Plaça Catalunya. The IEC is a 10-minute walk from the Plaça Catalunya (see map).
From Sants train station:
Transfer to the metro Red Line (L1), and get off at laça Catalunya. The IEC is a 10-minute walk from the Plaça Catalunya (see map).
If you are arriving locally:
Plaça Catalunya (lines 1 and 3)
Liceu (line 3)
Plaça Catalunya (train from Sarrià)
41, 55, 141 (Plaça Catalunya stop)
14, 18, 59, 91 (Rambla stop)
Barcelona Metropolitan Transport webiste (with metro and bus maps)
Speakers will be lodged at the Hotel Catalonia Ramblas
c/ Pelayo, 28
Telephone: +34 93 316 84 00
Fax: +34 93 316 84 01
A list of additional hotels within walking distance of the IEC can be found at: http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/hotels/hotelmaps/ramblas-hotel-barcelona.html (The IEC is located near the blue point 08/5 star). Rates will vary depending on choice of hotel and season. Please check with the hotel of your choice directly for the best offer.
Another possibility is the Residencia dels Investigadors (Investigators Residence Hall), which has an agreement with the CSIC (Spanish National Research Council) and the Catalan Government. It is located just behind the IEC, and is available for short-term stays. Rates (valid from 01/10/08- 31/08/09) range between 51-68 euros for a single room, to 71-94 euros for a double room.
Residencia dels Investigadors
C/ Hospital, 64
Telephone: +34 93 443 86 10
Fax: +34 93 442 82 02
Participants registered for events in the Barcelona BioMed series should contact the hotels and residences directly to arrange bookings and payment.
- Lluís Ribas, IRB Barcelona (Barcelona, Spain)
- Peter C. Dedon, MIT Center for Environmental Health Sciences (Cambridge, MA, USA)
- Susan L. Ackerman, Jackson Laboratory (Bar Harbor, ME, USA)
- Paul J. Anderson, Brigham and Women's Hospital (Boston, MA, USA)
- M. Eugenia Armengod, Principe Felipe Research Centre (Valencia, Spain)
- Hubert D. Becker , University of Strasbourg (Strasbourg, France)
- Thomas J. Begley, State University of New York (Albany, NY, USA)
- Anders S. Byström, Umeå University (Umeå, Sweden)
- Karin Musier-Forsyth, Ohio State University (Colombus, OH, USA)
- Magali Frugier, Institut de Biologie Moléculaire et Cellulaire du CNRS (Strasbourg, France)
- Damien Hermand, Namur Research College (Namur, Belgium)
- Michael Ibba, Ohio State University (Colombus, OH, USA)
- Albena Jordanova, VIB (ANTWERPEN, BELGIUM)
- Sunghoon Kim, Seul National University (Seul, Korea)
- Xiang Lei Yang, The Scripps Research Institute (La Jolla, CA, USA)
- Javier Martínez, Institute of Molecular Biotechnology (Vienna, Austria)
- Susan A. Martinis, University of Illinois (Urbana, IL, USA)
- Tao Pan, The University of Chicago (Chicago, IL, USA)
- Eric M. Phizicky, University of Rochester (Rochester, NY, USA)
- Philippe Pierre, Centre d'Immunologie de Marseille-Luminy (Marseille, France)
- Manuel A. S. Santos, University of Aveiro (Aveiro, Portugal)
- Paul Schimmel, The scripps Research Institute (La Jolla, CA, USA)
- Johnatan.W. Yewdell, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease (Bethesda, Maryland, USA)