Jordi Casanova and Marco Milán (IRB Barcelona)
BARCELONA, Spain. 6-8 OCTOBER, 2008
The development of shape, or morphogenesis, of a given multi-cellular tissue, organ or entire organism relies on the properties of its cells and on how they are organized in space. During this process, cells might preferentially divide or grow along a certain axis, change their final location through intercalation or migration or modulate their final shape and size. These processes involve the regulation of cytoskeleton organization, cell polarity and cell adhesion. Programmed cell death can also contribute to remove excess cells or sculpt the final shape. We plan to discuss several issues in order to gain an overall picture that links the emergence of shape of a multi-cellular structure and the behaviour of the cells that comprise it. Furthermore, gathering people working in a range of model systems will allow us to identify common themes that may be of general relevance during morphogenesis.
Organised by IRB Barcelona with the collaboration of the Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria Foundation (fBBVA).
Hosted by the Institut d'Estudis Catalans (IEC).
For more information, please contact the Barcelona BioMed Conference Secretariat at
Registration deadline: July 15, 2008
There is no registration fee for this conference, but the number of participants is limited.
Participants are invited to submit abstracts, a number of which will be selected for short talk and poster presentations. Abstracts should include a title, authors, affiliations, summary (max 250 words) and references.
The BARCELONA BIOMED CONFERENCE on MORPHOGENESIS AND CELL BEHAVIOUR will be hosted by the Institut d'Estudis Catalans (IEC) in the heart of downtown Barcelona. Talks will take place in the Sala Prat de Riba.
Institut d'Estudis Catalans
C. del Carme, 47
Tel +34 932 701 620
Fax +34 932 701 180
How to reach the IEC by public transport:
Plaça Catalunya (lines 1 and 3)
Liceu (line 3)
Plaça Catalunya (train from Sarrià)
41, 55, 141 (Plaça Catalunya stop)
14, 18, 59, 91 (Rambla stop)
Speakers will be lodged at the Hotel Catalonia Ramblas
c/ Pelayo, 28
Tel. +34 93.316.84.00
Fax. +34 93.316.84.01
Help in finding accommodation in Barcelona can be obtained through the following websites:
For more information about Barcelona, you can also consult the IRB Barcelona web section "Living in Barcelona".
- Jordi Casanova, Institute for Research in Biomedicine & IBMB/CSIC
- Marco Milán, Institute for Research in Biomedicine & ICREA Research Professor
List of invited speakers:
- Markus Affolter, Biozentrum (Basel, Switzerland)
- Paola Bovolenta, Instituto Cajal (Madrid, Spain)
- James Castelli-Gair, Centro Andaluz de Biología del Desarrollo (Sevilla, Spain)
- Enrico Coen, John Innes Centre (Norwich, UK)
- Carl-Philipp Heisenberg, Max Planck Institute of Molecular Cell Biology and Genetics (Dresden, Germany)
- Marc Krasnow, Stanford University School of Medicine (California, USA)
- Michel Labouesse, Institut de Génétique et de Biologie Moléculaire et Cellulaire (Illkirch, France)
- Thomas Lecuit, Institut de Biologie du Developpement de Marseille Luminy (Marseille, France)
- Ruth Lehmann, The Skirball Institute of Biomolecular Medicine (New York, USA)
- Maria Leptin, University of Cologne (Cologne, Germany)
- Oscar Marín, Instituto de Neurociencias de Alicante (Alacant, Spain)
- Alfonso Martinez-Arias, University of Cambridge (Cambridge, UK)
- Angela Nieto, Instituto de Neurociencias de Alicante (Alacant, Spain)
- Mark Peifer, University of North Carolina (North Carolina, USA)
- Olivier Pourquié, Stowers Institute for Medical Research (Kansas, USA)
- Ernesto Sanchez-Herrero, Centro de Biologia Molecular Severo Ochoa (Madrid, Spain)
- Renze Heidstra, Utrecht University (Utrecht, The Netherlands)
- Lila Solnica-Krezel, Vanderbilt University (Nashville, USA)