Barcelona BioMed Conference
The cellular interactions that lead to well-organised tissues, organs and bodies display a collection of regulatory phenomena, or organizational principles, which are specific to this multicellular level. These include phenomena such as positional information across fields of equivalent cells, self-organising patterns, multi-scale feedback between tissue mechanics and gene regulation, and many others. Together they represent a form of “information processing” for morphogenesis, and are thus likely to be common themes across multiple domains – from natural embryogenesis, to regenerative medicine and engineering of tissues.
This conference aims to stimulate discussion and debate in this area, through the title “morphogenetic engineering” - exploring the possible parallels between naturally-evolved and artificially-engineered systems. We are thus bringing together top-level speakers across both natural and artificial systems, and covering both experimental and theoretical approaches.
Organized in colaboration with:
Registration deadline: July 31, 2017
There is no registration fee for this conference, but the number of participants is limited, with a number of seats saved for IRB Barcelona alumni. Previous registration is required.
Participants are invited to submit abstracts, a number of which will be selected for short talk and poster presentations. Abstracts should include a title, authors, affiliations, summary (max 250 words) and references.
The BARCELONA BIOMED CONFERENCE on Morphogenetic engineering will be hosted by the Institut d'Estudis Catalans (IEC) in the heart of downtown Barcelona. Talks will take place in the Sala Prat de Riba.
Institut d'Estudis Catalans
C. del Carme, 47
Tel +34 932 701 620
Fax +34 932 701 180
How to reach the IEC:
From Barcelona El Prat airport:
A taxi from the airport to the IEC should take about 25 minutes and cost around 25-30 euros depending on traffic and luggage.
The RENFE train leaves the airport every half an hour and will take you to Passeig de Gracia station, in about 25 mins and costs 2.80 Euros for a single ticket. Change here for the Green Line metro to Liceu. The IEC is a 10-minute walk from the metro station (see map).
A transfer service called "Aerobus" will also take you from the airport to Plaça Catalunya and costs 4.25 Euros. The journey time is around 30 minutes. The IEC is a 10-minute walk from the Plaça Catalunya (see map).
From Girona airport:
The "Barcelona bus" runs a transfer service between Girona Airport and Barcelona's city centre, scheduled to coincide with Ryan Air flights. The bus stops right outside the airport and will take you to Estacio d'Autobusos Barcelona Nord (Barcelona's main bus terminal), with a journey time of about 1 hr 10 min. The nearest Metro stop to the bus station is Arc De Triomf, which is a 5-10 minute walk from the bus station (exit the bus station Sortida Nàpols). Take the Red Line (L1) to Plaça Catalunya. The IEC is a 10-minute walk from the Plaça Catalunya (see map).
From Sants train station:
Transfer to the metro Red Line (L1), and get off at laça Catalunya. The IEC is a 10-minute walk from the Plaça Catalunya (see map).
If you are arriving locally:
Plaça Catalunya (lines 1 and 3)
Liceu (line 3)
Plaça Catalunya (train from Sarrià)
41, 55, 141 (Plaça Catalunya stop)
14, 18, 59, 91 (Rambla stop)
Barcelona Metropolitan Transport webiste (with metro and bus maps)
Speakers will be lodged at the Hotel Catalonia Ramblas
c/ Pelayo, 28
Telephone: +34 93 316 84 00
Fax: +34 93 316 84 01
A list of additional hotels within walking distance of the IEC can be found at: http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/hotels/hotelmaps/ramblas-hotel-barcelona.html (The IEC is located near the blue point 08/5 star). Rates will vary depending on choice of hotel and season. Please check with the hotel of your choice directly for the best offer.
Another possibility is the Residencia dels Investigadors (Investigators Residence Hall), which has an agreement with the CSIC (Spanish National Research Council) and the Catalan Government. It is located just behind the IEC, and is available for short-term stays. Rates range between 70 euros for a single room, to 99 euros for a double room.
Residencia dels Investigadors
C/ Hospital, 64
Telephone: +34 93 443 86 10
Fax: +34 93 442 82 02
Participants registered for events in the Barcelona BioMed series should contact the hotels and residences directly to arrange bookings and payment.
- Marco Milán, IRB Barcelona/ ICREA (Barcelona, Spain)
- James Sharpe, EMBL-CRG/ ICREA (Barcelona, Spain)
- Naama Barkai, Weizmann Institute of Science (Rehovot, Israel)
- Yohanns Bellaïche, Institut Curie (Paris, France)
- James Briscoe, The Francis Crick Institute (London, UK)
- Jordi Casanova, IRB Barcelona (Barcelona, Spain)
- Suzanne Eaton, Max Planck Institute of Molecular Cell Biology and Genetics (Dresden, Germany)
- Miki Ebisuya, RIKEN (Hyogo, Japan)
- Jörg Galle, Leipzig University (Leipzig, Germany)
- Jordi Garcia-Ojalvo, Universitat Pompeu Fabra (Barcelona, Spain)
- Veronica Grieneisen, John Innes Centre Norwich Research Park (Norwich, UK)
- Marta Ibañes, Universitat de Barcelona (Barcelona, Spain)
- Dagmar Iber, ETH Zurich (Zurich, Switzerland)
- Roger Dale Kamm, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Cambridge, MA, USA)
- Anna Kicheva, Institute of Science and Technology Austria (Klosterneuburg, Austria)
- Arthur Lander, University of California, Irvine (Irvine, CA, USA)
- Pierre Leopold, Institute of Biology Valrose (Nice, France)
- Mike Levin, Tufts University (Medford, MA, USA)
- Alfonso Martinez Arias, University of Cambridge (Cambridge, UK)
- Andrew Oates, EPFL (Lausanne, Switzerland)
- Jochen Rink, Max Planck Institute of Molecular Cell Biology and Genetics (Dresden, Germany)
- Jerome Solon, CRG (Barcelona, Spain)
- Jochen Wittbrodt, Universität Heidelberg (Heidelberg, Germany)