Science Writing course
Scienseed is giving a comprehensive, hands-on training workshop to help you become proficient writers of scientific literature. In this workshop, you will:
- Learn about the bigger picture of peer-to-peer communication
- Learn the basics of scientific argumentation in a research abstract
- Set the basis for writing a scientific article
Speakers: Guzmán Sánchez, Suresh Chithathur Raman and Bruno Martín
Date: Thursday, 15 April 2021
Time: from 9:00 to 13:00
Place: Online (Zoom)
Registration: Fill in the registration form here before 8 April. The workshop has limited places. The course is aimed at PhD researchers.
A confirmation email will be sent to all participants. Participants will receive access details prior to the start of the workshop.
If you are registered to participate and finally cannot attend, please send an email to email@example.com in order to give others the opportunity.
- The clash between readers and writers
- Writing for your research community
- The concept of knowledge
- The value of instability in science writing
- The 6 golden rules - SUCCESS
Narrative analysis of research literature
- Scientific narrative
- The ABT structure
- Analysis and critical discussion of research abstracts
- Interpretation: structure vs. substance
Dissecting the scientific article
- Structure and function
- The funnel concept
- Large problem and research challenge
- Results and methods; lead, develop, show and infer
- Widening the funnel in the discussion
- Profile: Doctor in Molecular Biology with extensive experience in research, communication and science education. Since October 2014 he has been professionally dedicated to scientific communication as co-founder and project manager of Scienseed SL, a scientific communication agency working with all types of formats and specialized in online dissemination. At Scienseed, he is responsible for the strategic direction of projects, European calls, and the commercial area of the company.
- Relevant experience: Since 2014 he has directed and coordinated the communication projects division of Scienseed and has worked for numerous clients in the research and innovation fields. He has authored several research papers and white papers. He has been involved in the writing of over 50 research proposals under H2020, with 13 successfully funded projects that he has also supervised in the execution phase.
Suresh Chithathur Raman
- Profile: Doctor of Molecular Biology (Universidad Autónoma de Madrid) and Master of Biotechnology (University of Queensland, Australia) with experience in project management and promoting, cultivating and maintaining international collaborations. Scientific communicator capable of understanding and disseminating complex scientific concepts in formats accessible to a wide spectrum of audiences through written, visual and oral media
- Relevant experience: Consulting and proposal writing to help disruptive technologies and innovations obtain competitive EU and other international funding. Biomedical knowledge with extensive research experience in vaccines, therapeutics, protein design and diagnostics in multiple fields such as HIV, dengue, and coronary heart disease.
- Profile: Scientific communicator with experience in journalism and public relations. Holder of a degree in Biology from Durham University (UK) and a Master's in Scientific Communication from Imperial College, London. Science writer in international media for general and specialised audiences who has also worked in institutional communication and community management. At Scienseed, he coordinates relations with the press and works on developing content and managing social networks.
- Relevant experience: Former science journalism experience. Coordination of press actions and media relations at Scienseed; preparation of press releases and public relations at SEO / BirdLife and Imperial College London. Community management in social networks of Elusives (ITN), I, Science magazine and several clients of Scienseed.
Scienseed is a multifunctional agency for science communication. The company offers services for planning, development and dissemination of science communication strategies involving video, graphic design and animation, apps and videogames, publications, social media and advertising campaigns and public engagement activities. Currently, the company is responsible for the communication of 13 large EU-funded consortia as well as working with a growing number of clients from research institutions, foundations and private companies.
Scienseed ensures that all content is scientifically sound as well as creative and visually attractive, since the agency is run by communication experts with over ten years of experience in research to the PhD and postdoctoral level and composed by different artistic and technical profiles in the fields of video production, design and animation, and IT development.