EXTENDED deadline for applications: 19 July 2016. 14:59h CET Time
The IRB Barcelona International Postdoctoral Programme (IRBPostPro 2.0) aims to attract highly talented scientists seeking advanced research training and career development opportunities in a competitive international environment.
Two competitive fellowships will be offered in this extraordinary international call supported by EU Marie Curie Actions, for a period of one year. Candidates should start by January 2017.
Project funded by the European Commission under grant agreement 600404.
- Applicants must hold a doctorate degree before the start of the fellowship but not necessarily when applying.
- Candidates are eligible for a period of 5 years following successful completion of their PhD at the date of the call deadline. Extensions to the 5-year rule are allowed for applicants whose academic career has been interrupted for maternity (or paternity) leave or other special circumstances such as mandatory military service or illness. These circumstances will be indicated in the application form in the field "Additional Notes" and must be documented. Extensions will be of one year per birth in case of maternity (or paternity) leave. The extension in the case of illness or mandatory military service will depend on its duration.
- Candidates of all nationalities are eligible, but they must comply with the trans-national mobility rule, meaning that those researchers who have resided or carried out their main activity in Spain for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the call deadline are not eligible. Short stays, such as holidays, will not be taken into account.
- Candidates who have previously done research at IRB Barcelona for more than four (4) months before the application deadline will not be eligible. The eligibility criteria must be fulfilled at the time of the call deadline. If it becomes clear before, during or after the evaluation phase that one or more of the eligibility criteria have not been fulfilled, the proposal is declared ineligible and is withdrawn from any further examination.
How to apply
Applicants should complete and submit the online form available at http://postdoc.irbbarcelona.org/. Please carefully read the instructions on the homepage of the online form.
Applicants will be asked to attach the following documents:
- Curriculum vitae (including a list of publications, conferences, projects, awards, academic information...).
- PhD certificate or official notification of the award. If you do not have the doctorate degree at the time of the application, you must provide an official academic record of the studies completed (degree or MsC). In this case, you will need to attach a letter of commitment stating that you will have obtained your phD degree by the fellowship incorporation date.
- Statement of Research Interests, including a short proposal of a prospective research project to be carried out at IRB Barcelona using this form. Candidates for the IRBPostPro 2.0 are invited to select one of the listed projects and discuss their application with the prospective IRB Barcelona group leaders. The 2016 Predefined IRBPostPro2.0 projects are available here. Alternatively, applicants may suggest an unlisted project. Please use the Statement of Research Interests template.
- At least two letters of reference.
- Any additional file you consider relevant to your application.
Candidates are required to request letters of recommendation from two scientists who are familiar with their research work. Letter instructions requesting recommendations may be downloaded and sent to potential referees. Referees must send their letters directly to IRB Barcelona to the address firstname.lastname@example.org. Only letters with official letterhead and signature will be accepted.
The selection of the candidates will be performed by an independent international peer review selection committee composed of external experts from recognized national and international universities and research centres.
When assessing each application, the selection committee will evaluate the candidate’s scientific background and qualifications. For details on the evaluation process, please refer to the Call Text.
Selected candidates will be invited to IRB Barcelona for a two-day interview. The evaluation will be based on an individual presentation by each candidate to the members of the committee. This presentation will focus on the candidate’s current research and interests and will be followed by an individual interview of the candidate with the group leader of the research group in which the candidate wishes to carry out his/her research. The final decision will be taken in a consensus meeting composed of members of the selection committee.
The top two candidates will be offered a contract and invited to sign an acceptance letter.
Useful information for applications
- 2016 call " IRB Barcelona International Postdoctoral Fellowships
- Statement of Research Template
- 2016 Call Calendar
- List of Predefined projects 2016
- 2016 Call Poster
- Letter of recommendation- Instructions
Enquiries and letters of recommendation should be addressed to:
Noemí Carranza, PhD
Research and Academic Administration Department
Institute for Research in Biomedicine
Parc Científic de Barcelona
C/ Baldiri Reixac 10
08028 Barcelona, Spain
Phone +34 934031120