First IRB Barcelona PhD Student Symposium: The Architecture of Life
Barcelona, Spain. 2-3 November, 2009
"The Architecture of Life" is an initiative launched by the student community at the Institute for Research in Biomedicine (IRB Barcelona), in which students assume responsibility for all aspects regarding the event – from the choice of topic to the selection of speakers and all organizational details. The IRB Barcelona PhD Student Symposium seeks to bring together PhD students and other researchers from around the world for presentations and debate about important topics in the biomedical sciences. "The Architecture of Life" will explore current research into how life is built, ranging from DNA, RNA and proteins, all the way up to tissues and organisms, in normal and diseased states. Eight internationally renowned speakers from different areas will bring their perspectives, and will be joined by about 200 participants, some of whom will be invited to give short talks or present posters of their current work. The conference will also include a plenary discussion for all participants.
Officially founded in 2005, IRB Barcelona is an independent multidisciplinary research institute of excellence at the interface between biology, chemistry and medicine. Located at the Barcelona Science Park on the University of Barcelona campus, IRB Barcelona hosts more than 170 students working toward their doctoral degrees in the biomedical sciences.
Generously hosted by CosmoCaixa.
For more information, email phdsymposiumirbbarcelona.org
Extended registration deadline: September 15, 2009
Around 50 places for participants at the First IRB Barcelona PhD Student Symposium are still available. Participants are invited to state why they are interested in attending this symposium, and to submit abstracts about their current work, a number of which will be selected for short talk or poster presentations. Priority for attendance will be given to PhD students and to those who submit an abstract and/or explain their interest in attending the symposium.
There is a 50 euro deposit fee for this conference, to be reimbursed after the conference. Deposit fees are payable by bank transfer upon confirmation of your attendance (see deposit confirmation and reimbursement form below).
Coffee breaks and lunch will be provided on both days of the symposium to all participants. Participants will be responsible for any other expenses.
"The Architecture of Life" is generously hosted by CosmoCaixa Barcelona. More information about the venue is available here.
We do not provide accommodation to participants but there are many inexpensive hotel and hostel options available in Barcelona.
Confirmed list of invited speakers:
- Wolfgang Baumeister, Max Planck Institute of Biochemistry (Germany)
- Stephen M Cohen, Temasek Lifescience Laboratory (Singapore)
- Darren Gilmour, EMBL Heidelberg (Germany)
- Tanja Kortemme, University of California, San Francisco (USA)
- Eric Miska, Wellcome Trust/Cancer Research UK Gurdon Institute (UK)
- Gene Myers, Janelia Farm Research Campus of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute (USA)
- Ada Yonath, Weizmann Institute of Science (Israel)
- Magdalena Zernicka-Goetz, Wellcome Trust/Cancer Research UK Gurdon Institute (UK)
"The Architecture of Life" is organized by the IRB Barcelona PhD Student Symposium Committee
- Anna Arnal Estapé, Oncology Programme
- Francisco Barriga, Oncology Programme
- Diana Martínez Llinàs, Structural and Computational Biology Programme
- Duarte Mesquita, Cell and Developmental Biology Programme
- Roland A. Pache, Structural and Computational Biology Programme
- Neus Rafel Bergé, Cell and Developmental Biology Programme
- Amelie Stein, Structural and Computational Biology Programme
- Mariana Teixeira, Molecular Medicine Programme
- Gavin Whissell, Oncology Programme