Maths 4 Life – Summer Stays at IRB Barcelona
Running from July to September 2015, the Maths4Life Programme is aimed at outstanding and highly motivated undergraduates and MSc students with a strong interest in mathematics and statistics.
IRB Barcelona is looking for young undergraduate and MSc students from the national and international community who wish to get involved in multidisciplinary research at the interface between mathematics, statistics, informatics, and biomedicine. The successful candidates will collaborate in developing cutting-edge statistical/computational methods to apply to biological and biomedical research topics. We encourage applications from statisticians, mathematicians, computational scientists, and bioinformaticians wishing to follow a career in the biosciences. The selected students will work individually with IRB Barcelona scientists on diverse topics addressed by the research groups at the institute. The students will be mentored by a senior researcher and will also have the opportunity to participate in the activities undertaken at IRB Barcelona during their stay.
We offer a total of four grants to carry out research with one of the following research groups:
- Molecular modelling and bioinformatics
- Structural characterization of macromolecular assemblies
- Biostatistics/Bioinformatics Unit
A minimum of 250 h, to be distributed from July to September upon agreement with the IRB Barcelona supervisor.
Awardees will receive 1200€ for the training period. The IRB Barcelona will provide medical and accident insurance.
Participation in the Maths4Life programme does not imply any contractual relationship between the awardee and the IRB Barcelona.
The Maths4Life Summer Stays Programme has been designed to encourage and further the education of young emerging researchers in biomedical research topics.
- Addressed to BSc students that have completed at least 120 ECTS of a BSc degree in Mathematics, Physics, Statistics, Informatics, Biomedicine, Medicine,Structural Biology, Chemistry and related areas by June 2015 and MSc students in the same fields.
- Sound knowledge of statistics or programming for biology, chemistry or medicine backgrounds.
- Good knowledge of English.
Students will be awarded a place on basis of academic records, motivation letter, as well as other criteria, such as internationalization, previous research experience, and letter of reference.
How to apply
Before the deadline, candidates should send the documents listed below to email@example.com indicating “Maths4Life candidacy” in the subject box.
- A scanned copy of the student’s certified Academic Record. These documents must show the grades attained in exam periods.
- Additional certificates, prizes, and recognitions
- Motivation letter
- A letter of reference from university lecturers or scientists with who the applicant has studied or worked. Only letters with an official letterhead and signature will be accepted.
Applicants should indicate up to two research groups in which they would like to work, in order of preference. Moreover, if candidates are interested in a particular research group, they should make reference to it in the motivation letter. More information on the research activities of each group can be found on the IRB Barcelona web pages.
Referees must send their letters directly to IRB Barcelona to the address: firstname.lastname@example.org Only letters with an official letterhead and signature will be accepted. Candidates are responsible for ensuring that their referee sends the letter. Applications not accompanied by this letter will not be processed.
Applicants should submit information wherever possible in English (CV, motivation letter, summary of work experience). If the certified academic record is not in Catalan, Spanish or English, applicants should also attach a translation into one of these languages.
27 April 2015 - Call opening
27 May 2015 - Call deadline and preselection of the candidates
June 2015 - Notification to candidades
Start of stays from 1st July
At the end of the stay, each student must prepare a summary report that will be send to the IRB Barcelona Academic Office email@example.com as well as the IRB supervisor.
For any questions or additional information, please contact:
+34 93 402 0528