IRB Barcelona is a self-standing, non-profit institution devoted to basic and applied biomedical research. It was set up in 2005 jointly by the Government of Catalonia and the University of Barcelona and is located at the Barcelona Science Park. The institute currently has more than 430 members (scientific, technical and administrative staff) from all over the world, who work across disciplines to advance research in the biomedical sciences.
Applications for the above opening should include a Full CV and Motivation Letter and should be sent by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org, indicating the Reference: CF/20/01
- Deadline for applications: 10/07/2020
If no suitable candidate is found, the deadline will be extended.
- Number of positions available: 1
- Selection process:
- Pre-selection: Will be based on CV, motivation letter, experience, management of research and innovation. (Modify depending on the selection criteria)
- Interviews: Short-listed candidates will be interviewed.
- Job Offer: Will be sent to the successful candidate after the interview.
IRB Barcelona is seeking a motivated Junior Vveterinarian/Pathologist with proven skills in pathology and/or experimental pathology as well as other complementary techniques IHC, IF, molecular, microscopy and image analysis techniques. He/She will interpret pathology data from the studies of animal model of diseases and effect of different treatments or intervention under the supervision of the Histopathology Facility Head to whom will report.
- Necropsy: supervise and, if necessary, assist with necropsies on rodents. This will include dissection according to the protocol and the description and recording of gross abnormalities
- Guide the researchers to set up new protocols for mouse pathology phenotyping, animal’s models of disease and also for early screening of safety of new test compounds
- Histopathology: Produce and interpret histopathological data form the microscopic evaluation of tissue sections of the diferent experimental models of disease in mice/rodents
- Contribution to the correlation between molecular/clinical pathology data and anatomopathological reports
- Integration of the data done at the test facility and present findings and interpretations in written reports
- Performance of slide scanning and Image Analysis required for the different histopathological studies
- IHC, IF, FISH and other specific techniques: supervise and set up new protocols to satisfy the requirements of the different research programmes
- Contribution to the organization of the Histopathology Facility: workflow of studies, equipment, safety
- Training: to attend courses and meetings and undertake any required formal training to improve their scientific capabilities. Maintain a broad and up to date level of scientific awareness in all aspects of experimental pathology
Must Have – Required
- Experience: Veterinary degree or equivalent with 2-4 years in a laboratory of pathology or similar
- Knowledge: Deep knowledge in Histology, Pathology, and other related fields.
- Necropsy technique, sample collection, macroscopic analysis and descriptions
sample preparation/trimming and microscopic tissue evaluation
- Skills: High standard in English (written and oral)
Strong interpersonal skills and organizational skills
Informatics and Statistics skills
- Experience: PhD in Veterinary Pathology or similar, Experience in an experimental pathology Unit/Department/Biomedical research centre or similar
- Knowledge: Knowledge of immunohistochemical and IF techniques, pathology image analysis, clinical chemistry and haematology
- Skills: Work team abilities, strong proactivity, solve-problem and custom orientation
- Working conditions: Employed in compliance with Spanish legislation and regulations under a full-time contract. Employees receive the benefits of the Spanish Social Security system covering sickness, maternity/paternity leave and injuries at work.
- Estimated annual gross salary: Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
- International Environment: The opportunity to join a prestigious diverse and inclusive international research institution and to become a member of an established research group (only for Laboratory) / our administration team (only for Admin Core Facility).
- Benefits: Continuous training in a high-quality environment with unique professional career opportunities. Furthermore, the IRB Barcelona is committed to reconcile work and family life offering an extended vacation period and other work-life balance benefits.