IRB Barcelona is a self-standing, non-profit institution devoted to basic and applied biomedical research. It was set up in 2005 jointly by the Government of Catalonia and the University of Barcelona and is located at the Barcelona Science Park. The institute currently has more than 430 members (scientific, technical and administrative staff) from all over the world, who work across disciplines to advance research in the biomedical sciences.
Applications for the above opening should include CV, motivation letter and the name of at least three referees and should be sent by e-mail to: email@example.com .
Deadline for applications: 30/06//2018
When the applicants do not fit the requirements, the deadline will be able to be extended.
Number of positions available: 1
IRB Barcelona seeks a Functional Genomics Core Facility (FGC) Manager. This is a great opportunity for research-oriented managers who are motivated to enlarge the services that are currently offered by the FGC, a scientific facility that provides the research community at IRB Barcelona with cutting-edge techniques, including tools for genomic analysis and alterations of gene expression. Candidates for this post must be willing to tackle the challenges of a highly dynamic platform, which involve managing its growth, increasing the number of technical approaches offered, ensuring an equipment upgrade, and proactively building new professional networks.
The FGC’s main mission is to provide support to the IRB Barcelona research community; however, other activities include the promotion of synergies and collaborations at the local, national and particularly at the international levels.
- To be in charge of the scientific management of the services and projects undertaken in the facility.
- Responsibilities include overseeing and developing services,
- Coordinating staff conducting the service projects,
- Interpreting and communicating results, as well as developing technology and participating in the implementation of novel processes and procedures.
- To be involved in the strategic planning of new developments based on the needs of the institute’s research community.
Must Have – Required
- Experience: More than 10 years of research experience in related fields. Experience with next-generation sequencing platforms, current analytical platforms, and associated informatics and computational skills is required.
- Knowledge: Technologies related to genomic analysis, in particular NGS and microarray protocols
- Skills: Excellent communication (mostly in English), leadership, and interpersonal skills. In addition, a service-based orientation, and prior and solid managerial experience with a core facility or similar service are essential.
- Experience: More than 3 years of managerial experience
- Knowledge: Bioinformatics/biostatistics tools
- Skills: Proactivity, organizational and negotiation skills