IRB Barcelona is a self-standing, non-profit institution devoted to basic and applied biomedical research. It was set up in 2005 jointly by the Government of Catalonia and the University of Barcelona and is located at the Barcelona Science Park. The institute currently has more than 430 members (scientific, technical and administrative staff) from all over the world, who work across disciplines to advance research in the biomedical sciences.
Applications for the above opening should include a motivation letter and full CV and should be sent by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org, indicating the Reference: AD/19/06
If no suitable candidate is found, the deadline will be extended.
- Pre-selection: Will be based on CV, motivation letter, experience, management of research and innovation.
- Interviews: Short-listed candidates will be interviewed.
- Job Offer: Will be sent to the successful candidate after the interview.
IRB Barcelona is seeking a IRB Barcelona is seeking an enthusiastic HPC System Administrator with experience in the management of Information Technology infrastructure in scientific research environments to join its Information Technology Services Department.
The Information Technology Services (ITS) Department provides IT services to the whole organisation and develops digital transformation projects with the aim to facilitate the operations of the organisation and the accomplishment of the goals of its research community. To fulfil this mission, the ITS Department offers a broad spectrum of IT services, solutions and support, particularly high performance computing (HPC) services.
- To administer a heterogeneous group of systems, both standard infrastructure and HPC systems.
- To Install and configure new hardware and software.
- To troubleshoot any reported problems.
- To be responsible for documenting the configuration of the systems.
- To evaluate new technologies and solutions that can be later included in the catalogue of services offered to the research groups.
Must Have – Required
Experience: 5 years of experience in a similar position
- Bachelor degree or higher in Informatics, Telecommunications Engineering, or similar
- Networking basic knowledge
- HPC workload managers Knowledge (Slurm, SGE)
- Linux operating systems, including scripting and programming proficiencies (Shell, Perl or Python)
- Common server hardware architectures including servers (CPU, bus, memory), SANS, disk arrays, network hardware
- Networked Storage technologies like NAS, SMB/CIFS, GPFS, BeeGFS
- Excellent writing and verbal communications skills in English and Spanish
- Strong organizational, planning and multitasking capacities
- Teamwork skills
- Ability to work under tight deadlines with minimal supervision
- HPC GPUs node administration knowledge
- Web server administration (Apache, NGINX,…)
- SSL certificate administration
- Containerization (Docker, Singularity, Kubernetes,...)
- Workflow managers like Nextflow, Snakemake, Galaxy or Toil
- Fortran, C, and C++ Compilers
- Genomic software like GATK or Picard tools
- NoSQL database administration (MongoDB, Cassandra or similar) and BigData technologies such as Hadoop
- Statistical computing (R)
- Management of public or private Cloud infrastructure (OpenNebula, Openstack, AWS, Azure..)
- Configuration of monitoring systems such as Nagios and Ganglia
- Configuration of LDAP in Linux environments
- MPI, CUDA, and OpenMP
- ML/AI libraries (Tensorflow, Pytorch, Keras
Working conditions: Employed in compliance with Spanish legislation and regulations under a full-time contract. Employees receive the benefits of the Spanish Social Security system covering sickness, maternity/paternity leave and injuries at work. Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
International Environment: The opportunity to join a prestigious international research institution and become a member of our administration team.
Continuous training in a high-quality environment.