Cancer is a multi-hit process involving mutations in oncogenes and tumour suppressors. It is altered by its environment including interactions between the tumour cells and the surrounding normal tissue, immune response, and whole body metabolism. As such, cancer studies benefit from whole animal platforms. The fruit fly Drosophila is an excellent, genetically-tractable system for modelling the development of cancer due to the conservation of cell signalling, proliferation, and survival networks between fly and human. It also provides an excellent system to study epithelial homeostasis including the regulation of cancer metabolism and cancer stem cells, and the opportunity to explore candidate therapeutics in a whole animal context. This conference presents a forum for the discussion of cutting-edge models of tumourigenesis in Drosophila and their usein exploring cancer progression as well as screens for novel lead therapeutics that may prove useful in treating human cancer. Cayetano González IRB Barcelona, Spain Ross Cagan Mount Sinai, USA.
Organized in colaboration with:
Registration is now CLOSED
There is no registration fee for this conference, but the number of participants is limited, with a number of seats saved for IRB Barcelona alumni. Previous registration is required.
Participants are invited to submit abstracts, a number of which will be selected for short talk and poster presentations. Abstracts should include a title, authors, affiliations, summary (max 250 words) and references.
The BARCELONA BIOMED CONFERENCE on Drosophila as a cancer model will be hosted by the Institut d'Estudis Catalans (IEC) in the heart of downtown Barcelona. Talks will take place in the Sala Prat de Riba.
Institut d'Estudis Catalans
C. del Carme, 47
Tel +34 932 701 620
Fax +34 932 701 180
How to reach the IEC:
From Barcelona El Prat airport:
A taxi from the airport to the IEC should take about 25 minutes and cost around 25-30 euros depending on traffic and luggage.
The RENFE train leaves the airport every half an hour and will take you to Passeig de Gracia station, in about 25 mins and costs 2.80 Euros for a single ticket. Change here for the Green Line metro to Liceu. The IEC is a 10-minute walk from the metro station (see map).
A transfer service called "Aerobus" will also take you from the airport to Plaça Catalunya and costs 4.25 Euros. The journey time is around 30 minutes. The IEC is a 10-minute walk from the Plaça Catalunya (see map).
From Girona airport:
The "Barcelona bus" runs a transfer service between Girona Airport and Barcelona's city centre, scheduled to coincide with Ryan Air flights. The bus stops right outside the airport and will take you to Estacio d'Autobusos Barcelona Nord (Barcelona's main bus terminal), with a journey time of about 1 hr 10 min. The nearest Metro stop to the bus station is Arc De Triomf, which is a 5-10 minute walk from the bus station (exit the bus station Sortida Nàpols). Take the Red Line (L1) to Plaça Catalunya. The IEC is a 10-minute walk from the Plaça Catalunya (see map).
From Sants train station:
Transfer to the metro Red Line (L1), and get off at laça Catalunya. The IEC is a 10-minute walk from the Plaça Catalunya (see map).
If you are arriving locally:
Plaça Catalunya (lines 1 and 3)
Liceu (line 3)
Plaça Catalunya (train from Sarrià)
41, 55, 141 (Plaça Catalunya stop)
14, 18, 59, 91 (Rambla stop)
Barcelona Metropolitan Transport webiste (with metro and bus maps)
Speakers will be lodged at the Hotel Catalonia Ramblas
c/ Pelayo, 28
Telephone: +34 93 316 84 00
Fax: +34 93 316 84 01
A list of additional hotels within walking distance of the IEC can be found at: http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/hotels/hotelmaps/ramblas-hotel-barcelona.html (The IEC is located near the blue point 08/5 star). Rates will vary depending on choice of hotel and season. Please check with the hotel of your choice directly for the best offer.
Another possibility is the Residencia dels Investigadors (Investigators Residence Hall), which has an agreement with the CSIC (Spanish National Research Council) and the Catalan Government. It is located just behind the IEC, and is available for short-term stays. Rates range between 70 euros for a single room, to 99 euros for a double room.
Residencia dels Investigadors
C/ Hospital, 64
Telephone: +34 93 443 86 10
Fax: +34 93 442 82 02
Participants registered for events in the Barcelona BioMed series should contact the hotels and residences directly to arrange bookings and payment.
- Ross Cagan, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai (NY, USA)
- Cayetano González, IRB Barcelona/ICREA (Barcelona, Spain)
List of speakers:
- Erdem Bangi, Florida State University (FL, USA)
- Allison Bardin, Institut Curie (Paris, France)
- Andreas Bergmann, University of Massachusetts Medical School (Worcester, MA, USA)
- Michael Boutros, DKFZ (Heidelberg, Germany)
- Ana Carmena, Neuroscience Institute of Alicante, UMH-CSIC (San Juan de Alicante, Spain)
- María Domínguez, Neuroscience Institute of Alicante, UMH-CSIC (San Juan de Alicante, Spain)
- Héctor Herranz, University of Copenhagen (Copenhagen, Denmark)
- Steven X. Hou , NCI Center for Cancer Research (MD, USA)
- Tatsushi Igaki, Kyoto University Graduate School of Biostudies (Kyoto, Japan)
- Laura A. Johnston, Columbia University Medical Center (NY, USA)
- Anne-Marie Martínez, University of Montpellier, Institute of Human Genetics – CNRS (Montpellier, France)
- Cedric Maurange, IBDM (Marseille, France)
- Marco Milán, IRB Barcelona/ICREA (Barcelona, Spain)
- Jaume Mora, Sant Joan de Déu Barcelona Children's Hospital (Barcelona, Spain)
- Gines Morata, Centro de Biología Molecular, CSIC-UAM (Madrid, Spain)
- Eduardo Moreno, Champalimaud Centre for the Unknown (Lisbon, Portugal)
- Norbert Perrimon, Harvard Medical School (Boston, MA, USA)
- Renee Read, Winship Cancer Institute, Emory University School of Medicine (Atlanta, GA, USA)
- Helena Richardson, La Trobe University (Victoria, Australia)
- Tor Erik Rusten, The Norwegian Radium Hospital, Oslo University Hospital (Montebello, Oslo, Norway)
- Hongyan Wang, Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School Singapore (Singapore, Singapore)