Frontiers in Dynamics Simulations of Biological Molecules
Modesto Orozco, IRB Barcelona (Barcelona, Spain) and Charles A. Laughton, Nottingham University (Nottingham, UK)
Barcelona, Spain. 4-6 November, 2013
Recent algorithm improvements and the development of new computer platforms (supercomputers, GPUs, specific purpose computers) is leading to a revolution in the field of molecular dynamics simulations of biomolecules. The field evolves extremely fast, millisecond scale simulations are possible, the dynamics of supramacromolecular systems containing millions of atoms is determined and projects exist to transform structural databases into dynamical databases. Clearly, molecular dynamics is moving structural biology to a different scenario.
The BioMed conference will be a forum to meet many of the most distinguished scientists in the field. We will not only learn on recent state of the art simulations, or on the latest theoretical or algorithmic improvements, but we will also discuss on the integration of molecular dynamics with experimentation, and on the challenge that the technique will face in a close future dominated by the omics research.
Organized in colaboration with:
Registration deadline: September 27, 2013
There is no registration fee for this conference, but the number of participants is limited.
Participants are invited to submit abstracts, a number of which will be selected for short talk and poster presentations. Abstracts should include a title, authors, affiliations, summary (max 250 words) and references.
The BARCELONA BIOMED CONFERENCE on FRONTIERS IN DYNAMICS SIMULATIONS OF BIOLOGICAL MOLECULES will be hosted by the Institut d'Estudis Catalans (IEC) in the heart of downtown Barcelona. Talks will take place in the Sala Prat de Riba.
Institut d'Estudis Catalans
C. del Carme, 47
Tel +34 932 701 620
Fax +34 932 701 180
How to reach the IEC:
From Barcelona El Prat airport:
A taxi from the airport to the IEC should take about 25 minutes and cost around 25-30 euros depending on traffic and luggage.
The RENFE train leaves the airport every half an hour and will take you to Passeig de Gracia station, in about 25 mins and costs 2.80 Euros for a single ticket. Change here for the Green Line metro to Liceu. The IEC is a 10-minute walk from the metro station (see map).
A transfer service called "Aerobus" will also take you from the airport to Plaça Catalunya and costs 4.25 Euros. The journey time is around 30 minutes. The IEC is a 10-minute walk from the Plaça Catalunya (see map).
From Girona airport:
The "Barcelona bus" runs a transfer service between Girona Airport and Barcelona's city centre, scheduled to coincide with Ryan Air flights. The bus stops right outside the airport and will take you to Estacio d'Autobusos Barcelona Nord (Barcelona's main bus terminal), with a journey time of about 1 hr 10 min. The nearest Metro stop to the bus station is Arc De Triomf, which is a 5-10 minute walk from the bus station (exit the bus station Sortida Nàpols). Take the Red Line (L1) to Plaça Catalunya. The IEC is a 10-minute walk from the Plaça Catalunya (see map).
From Sants train station:
Transfer to the metro Red Line (L1), and get off at laça Catalunya. The IEC is a 10-minute walk from the Plaça Catalunya (see map).
If you are arriving locally:
Plaça Catalunya (lines 1 and 3)
Liceu (line 3)
Plaça Catalunya (train from Sarrià)
41, 55, 141 (Plaça Catalunya stop)
14, 18, 59, 91 (Rambla stop)
Barcelona Metropolitan Transport webiste (with metro and bus maps)
Speakers will be lodged at the Hotel Catalonia Ramblas
c/ Pelayo, 28
Telephone: +34 93 316 84 00
Fax: +34 93 316 84 01
A list of additional hotels within walking distance of the IEC can be found at: http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/hotels/hotelmaps/ramblas-hotel-barcelona.html (The IEC is located near the blue point 08/5 star). Rates will vary depending on choice of hotel and season. Please check with the hotel of your choice directly for the best offer.
Another possibility is the Residencia dels Investigadors (Investigators Residence Hall), which has an agreement with the CSIC (Spanish National Research Council) and the Catalan Government. It is located just behind the IEC, and is available for short-term stays. Rates (valid from 01/10/08- 31/08/09) range between 51-68 euros for a single room, to 71-94 euros for a double room.
Residencia dels Investigadors
C/ Hospital, 64
Telephone: +34 93 443 86 10
Fax: +34 93 442 82 02
Participants registered for events in the Barcelona BioMed series should contact the hotels and residences directly to arrange bookings and payment.
- Modesto Orozco, IRB Barcelona (Barcelona, Spain)
- Charles A. Laughton, Nottingham University (Nottingham, UK)
- Paolo Carloni, German Research School for Simulation Sciences (Jülich, Germany)
- Gianni De Fabritiis, Universitat Pompeu Fabra (Barcelona, Spain)
- Nikolay V. Dokholyan, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (North Carolina, USA)
- Jonathan W. Essex, University of Southampton (Southampton, UK)
- Jiali Gao, University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA)
- Helmuth Grubmuller, Center for Advanced Research in Biotechnology. Maryland University (Maryland, USA)
- Victor Guallar, Barcelona Supercomputer Center (Barcelona, Spain)
- Gerhard Hummer, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (Bethesda, Maryland, USA)
- Richard Lavery, Institute of Biology and Chemistry of Proteins (Lyon, France)
- Erik Lindahl, Center for Biomembrane Research (Stockholm, Sweden)
- F. Javier Luque, Universitat de Barcelona (Barcelona, Spain)
- Adrian Mulholland, University of Bristol (Bristol, UK)
- Michelle Parrinello, ETH Zurich (Lugano, Switzerland)
- Ursula Röthlisberger, École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (Lausanne, Switzerland)
- Xavier Salvatella, Institute for Research in Biomedicine of Barcelona (Barcelona, Spain)
- Mark Sansom, University of Oxford (Oxford, UK)
- Iñaki Tuñon, Universidad de Valencia (Burjassot, Valencia, Spain)
- Rebeca Wade, Heidelberg Institute for Theoretical Studies (Heidelberg, Germany)