Metastasis is the main cause of cancer related deaths from solid tumors. Although significant progress has been made in identifying its genetic, molecular and cellular determinants, we still do not fully understand the metastatic process, hampering our ability to develop specific anti-metastatic therapies. Recent conceptual and technological advances are providing an unprecedented opportunity to address this problem. This conference will bring together basic and clinical experts who are working on studying metastasis in human malignancies and animal models, at the level of its component processes including cancer stem cells, metastasis-associated metabolism, tumor-microenvironment interactions, systemic influences, cellular invasion, and the development of therapies. The purpose of this conference is to provide a stimulating and interactive environment in order to advance our understanding of cancer metastasis.
Organized in colaboration with:
Registration deadline: The registration is now closed
There is no registration fee for this conference, but the number of participants is limited, with a number of seats saved for IRB Barcelona alumni. Previous registration is required.
Participants are invited to submit abstracts, a number of which will be selected for short talk and poster presentations. Abstracts should include a title, authors, affiliations, summary (max 250 words) and references.
The BARCELONA BIOMED CONFERENCE on Mechanisms of Metastasis will be hosted by the Institut d'Estudis Catalans (IEC) in the heart of downtown Barcelona. Talks will take place in the Sala Prat de Riba.
Institut d'Estudis Catalans
C. del Carme, 47
Tel +34 932 701 620
Fax +34 932 701 180
How to reach the IEC:
From Barcelona El Prat airport:
A taxi from the airport to the IEC should take about 25 minutes and cost around 25-30 euros depending on traffic and luggage.
The RENFE train leaves the airport every half an hour and will take you to Passeig de Gracia station, in about 25 mins and costs 2.80 Euros for a single ticket. Change here for the Green Line metro to Liceu. The IEC is a 10-minute walk from the metro station (see map).
A transfer service called "Aerobus" will also take you from the airport to Plaça Catalunya and costs 4.25 Euros. The journey time is around 30 minutes. The IEC is a 10-minute walk from the Plaça Catalunya (see map).
From Girona airport:
The "Barcelona bus" runs a transfer service between Girona Airport and Barcelona's city centre, scheduled to coincide with Ryan Air flights. The bus stops right outside the airport and will take you to Estacio d'Autobusos Barcelona Nord (Barcelona's main bus terminal), with a journey time of about 1 hr 10 min. The nearest Metro stop to the bus station is Arc De Triomf, which is a 5-10 minute walk from the bus station (exit the bus station Sortida Nàpols). Take the Red Line (L1) to Plaça Catalunya. The IEC is a 10-minute walk from the Plaça Catalunya (see map).
From Sants train station:
Transfer to the metro Red Line (L1), and get off at laça Catalunya. The IEC is a 10-minute walk from the Plaça Catalunya (see map).
If you are arriving locally:
Plaça Catalunya (lines 1 and 3)
Liceu (line 3)
Plaça Catalunya (train from Sarrià)
41, 55, 141 (Plaça Catalunya stop)
14, 18, 59, 91 (Rambla stop)
Barcelona Metropolitan Transport webiste (with metro and bus maps)
Speakers will be lodged at the Hotel Catalonia Ramblas
c/ Pelayo, 28
Telephone: +34 93 316 84 00
Fax: +34 93 316 84 01
A list of additional hotels within walking distance of the IEC can be found at: http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/hotels/hotelmaps/ramblas-hotel-barcelona.html (The IEC is located near the blue point 08/5 star). Rates will vary depending on choice of hotel and season. Please check with the hotel of your choice directly for the best offer.
Another possibility is the Residencia dels Investigadors (Investigators Residence Hall), which has an agreement with the CSIC (Spanish National Research Council) and the Catalan Government. It is located just behind the IEC, and is available for short-term stays. Rates range between 70 euros for a single room, to 99 euros for a double room.
Residencia dels Investigadors
C/ Hospital, 64
Telephone: +34 93 443 86 10
Fax: +34 93 442 82 02
Participants registered for events in the Barcelona BioMed series should contact the hotels and residences directly to arrange bookings and payment.
- Joan Massagué, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (NY, USA)
- Salvador Aznar-Benitah, IRB Barcelona/ ICREA (Barcelona, Spain)
- Roger Gomis, IRB Barcelona/ ICREA (Barcelona, Spain)
List of speakers:
- Eduard Batlle, IRB Barcelona/ ICREA (Barcelona, Spain)
- Mohamed Bentires-Alj, University of Basel (Basel, Switzerland)
- Cedric Blanpain, Université Libre de Bruxelles (Bruxelles, Belgium)
- Arkaitz Carracedo, CIC Biogune (Derio, Spain)
- Christian Freeza, MRC Research Centre (Cambridge, UK)
- Peter Friedl, Radboud University (Nijmegen, Netherlands)
- Johanna Joyce, University of Lausanne (Lausanne, Switzerland)
- Yibin Kang, Princeton University (Princeton, New Jersey, USA)
- Ilaria Malanchi, The Francis Crick Institute (London, UK)
- Andy Minn, Abramson Family Cancer Research Institute (Philadelphia, PA, USA)
- Dana Pe’er, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (NY, USA)
- Victoria Sanz Moreno, King's College London (London, UK)
- Charles Swanton, The Francis Crick Institute (London, UK)
- Andreas Trumpp, DKFZ-ZMBH Alliance (Heidelberg, Germany)
- Zena Werb, University of California, San Francisco (San Francisco, CA, USA)
- Xiang Zhang, Baylor College of Medicine (Houston, TX, USA)