Fifth Peptide Engineering Meeting (PEM5) Ernest Giralt (IRB Barcelona) and Claudio Toniolo (University of Padua, Italy) Barcelona, SPAIN. 26-28 OCTOBER, 2009
Following the spirit of previous editions of the Peptide Engineering Meeting (PEM), this Barcelona BioMed conference will gather an ensemble of scientists at the crossroads between chemistry, biology, biophysics and materials science. Researchers more from basic science, peptide design and synthesis backgrounds, will sit face-to-face with much more biomedically-oriented scientists mostly interested in the clinical uses of peptide molecules. A lot of discussion, disclosure of unpublished results, and a very iterative atmosphere will be the signature of this Barcelona BioMed conference.
Organised by IRB Barcelona with the collaboration of the Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria Foundation (fBBVA).
Hosted by the Institut d'Estudis Catalans (IEC).
For more information, please contact the Barcelona BioMed Conference Secretariat at
Registration deadline: July 15, 2009
There is no registration fee for this conference, but the number of participants is limited.
Participants are invited to submit abstracts, a number of which will be selected for short talk and poster presentations. Abstracts should include a title, authors, affiliations, summary (max 250 words) and references.
The BARCELONA BIOMED CONFERENCE on Modelling Cancer in Drosophila space will be hosted by the Institut d'Estudis Catalans (IEC) in the heart of downtown Barcelona. Talks will take place in the Sala Prat de Riba.
Institut d'Estudis Catalans
C. del Carme, 47
Tel +34 932 701 620
Fax +34 932 701 180
How to reach the IEC:
From Barcelona El Prat airport:
A taxi from the airport to the IEC should take about 25 minutes and cost around 25-30 euros depending on traffic and luggage.
The RENFE train leaves the airport every half an hour and will take you to Passeig de Gracia station, in about 25 mins and costs 2.80 Euros for a single ticket. Change here for the Green Line metro to Liceu. The IEC is a 10-minute walk from the metro station (see map).
A transfer service called "Aerobus" will also take you from the airport to Plaça Catalunya and costs 4.25 Euros. The journey time is around 30 minutes. The IEC is a 10-minute walk from the Plaça Catalunya (see map).
From Girona airport:
The "Barcelona bus" runs a transfer service between Girona Airport and Barcelona's city centre, scheduled to coincide with Ryan Air flights. The bus stops right outside the airport and will take you to Estacio d'Autobusos Barcelona Nord (Barcelona's main bus terminal), with a journey time of about 1 hr 10 min. The nearest Metro stop to the bus station is Arc De Triomf, which is a 5-10 minute walk from the bus station (exit the bus station Sortida Nàpols). Take the Red Line (L1) to Plaça Catalunya. The IEC is a 10-minute walk from the Plaça Catalunya (see map).
From Sants train station:
Transfer to the metro Red Line (L1), and get off at laça Catalunya. The IEC is a 10-minute walk from the Plaça Catalunya (see map).
If you are arriving locally:
Plaça Catalunya (lines 1 and 3)
Liceu (line 3)
Plaça Catalunya (train from Sarrià)
41, 55, 141 (Plaça Catalunya stop)
14, 18, 59, 91 (Rambla stop)
Barcelona Metropolitan Transport webiste (with metro and bus maps)
Speakers will be lodged at the Hotel Catalonia Ramblas
c/ Pelayo, 28
Telephone: +34 93 316 84 00
Fax: +34 93 316 84 01
A list of additional hotels within walking distance of the IEC can be found at: http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/hotels/hotelmaps/ramblas-hotel-barcelona.html (The IEC is located near the blue point 08/5 star). Rates will vary depending on choice of hotel and season. Please check with the hotel of your choice directly for the best offer.
Another possibility is the Residencia dels Investigadors (Investigators Residence Hall), which has an agreement with the CSIC (Spanish National Research Council) and the Catalan Government. It is located just behind the IEC, and is available for short-term stays. Rates (valid from 01/10/08- 31/08/09) range between 51-68 euros for a single room, to 71-94 euros for a double room.
Residencia dels Investigadors
C/ Hospital, 64
Telephone: +34 93 443 86 10
Fax: +34 93 442 82 02
Participants registered for events in the Barcelona BioMed series should contact the hotels and residences directly to arrange bookings and payment.
- Ernest Giralt, Institute for Research in Biomedicine (Barcelona, Spain)
- Claudio Toniolo, University of Padua (Padua, Italy)
- Fernando Albericio, Institute for Research in Biomedicine (Barcelona, Spain)
- David Andreu, Universitat Pompeu Fabra (Barcelona, Spain)
- Padmanabhan Balaram, Indian Institute of Science (Bangalore, India)
- Annette G. Beck-Sickinger, University of Leipzig (Leipzig, Germany)
- Shiroh Futaki, Institute for Chemical Research (Kyoto, Japan)
- Lila Gierasch, University of Massachusetts (Amherst, MA, USA)
- Christopher P. Holmes, Affymax Inc. (Palo, Alto, CA, USA)
- Yoon-Sik Lee, Seoul National University (Seoul, Korea)
- Hisakazu Mihara, Tokyo Institute of Technology (Tokyo, Japan)
- Les P. Miranda, Amgen, Inc. (Thousand Oaks, CA, USA)
- Anna Maria Papini, University of Florence (Florence, Italy)
- Joel P. Schneider, University of Delaware (Newark, DE, USA)
- Samuel I. Stupp, Northwestern University (Evanston, IL, USA)
- Hiroaki Suga, University of Tokyo (Tokyo, Japan)
- Marcey L. Waters, University of North Carolina (Chapel Hill, NC, USA)
- Shao Q. Yao, National University of Singapore (Singapore)