In the first part of the workshop, you will learn about the different components of the Python ecosystem, such as the interpreter, the different programming environments, distributions and libraries. In the second part, you will learn the syntax of the Python language, emphasizing its applicability to Scientific Computing.
The final part will introduce three of the most widely used libraries in Scientific Computing: Numpy for the creation and manipulation of numerical data, Pandas for the manipulation of tabular data and statistical analysis, and Matplotlib for data visualization.
Date: Tuesday 5 April from 13:30 to 18:00 and Thursday 7 April from 13:30 to 18:00
Location: Tower I – Room 1 (Parc Científic de Barcelona)
Registration: Fill in the registration form here before 31 March. A confirmation email will be sent to all participants. Participants will receive access details prior to the start of the workshop.
The workshop is offered exclusively to members of IRB Barcelona and has limited places.
If you are registered to participate and finally cannot attend, please send an e-mail to email@example.com in order to give others the opportunity.
- Introduction to Python.
- The Python interpreter.
- Python programming environment:
- Python distributions and module install.
- The Python Interactive Shell
- Jupyter Notebook
- Integrated Development Environment: Spyder
- The Python language syntax.
- Data types
- Data structures: lists, dictionaries, tuples
- Control flow: if, for, while, with and try statements
- Writing functions
- Introduction to Numpy: creation and manipulation of numerical data
- Introduction to Pandas: tabular data and statistical analysis
- Introduction to Matplotlib: data plotting
- Working with files
Manuel Gómez González
Senior Researcher at Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia (IBEC)