Running from July to September 2020, the Maths4Life Programme is aimed at outstanding and highly motivated undergraduates and MSc students with a strong interest in mathematics and statistics.
IRB Barcelona is looking for young undergraduate and MSc students from the national and international community who wish to get involved in multidisciplinary research at the interface between mathematics, statistics, informatics, and biomedicine. The successful candidates will collaborate in developing cutting-edge statistical/computational methods to apply to biological and biomedical research topics. We encourage applications from statisticians, mathematicians, computational scientists, and bioinformaticians wanting to pursue a career in the biosciences. The selected students will work individually with IRB Barcelona scientists on diverse topics addressed by the research groups at the institute. The students will be mentored by a senior researcher and will also have the opportunity to participate in in-house institutional activities during their internship.
We offer a total of four grants to carry out research with one of the following research groups:
- Molecular modelling and bioinformatics
- Structural bioinformatics and network biology
- Comparative Genomics
- Stem Cells and Cancer
- Complex Metabolic Diseases and Mitochondria
- Gene Translation Laboratory
A total of 250 h of research work (minimum of 20 h/week) will be distributed from July to September 2020 upon agreement with the project supervisor at IRB Barcelona.
Awardees will be contracted by IRB Barcelona and will receive a gross amount of €1200 for the training period.
The Maths4Life Programme has been designed to encourage and further the education of young emerging researchers in biomedical research topics.
- Addressed to BSc students who have completed at least 120 ECTS of a BSc degree in Mathematics, Physics, Statistics, Informatics, and related areas by June 2020 and MSc students in the same fields.
- Applicants should have a sound knowledge of statistics or programming for the field of biology, chemistry or medicine.
- And a good knowledge of English.
Candidates will be selected exclusively on merit, on the basis of academic records, motivation letter, as well as other criteria, such as internationalisation, previous research experience, and letter of reference. No selection criteria for positive or negative discrimination will be applied.
- A scanned copy of the applicant’s certified Academic Record. These documents must show the grades attained in exam periods
- Additional certificates, prizes, and recognitions
- Motivation letter
- A letter of reference from university lecturers or scientists with who the applicant has studied or worked. Only letters with an official letterhead and signature will be accepted.
Applicants should indicate up to two research groups in which they would like to work, in order of preference. Moreover, if they are interested in a particular research group, they should make reference to it in the motivation letter. More information on the research activities of each group can be found on the IRB Barcelona web pages.
Referees must send their letters directly to IRB Barcelona to the address: email@example.com. Only letters with an official letterhead and signature will be accepted. Candidates are responsible for ensuring that their referees send the letter. Applications not accompanied by this letter will not be processed.
Applicants should submit information wherever possible in English (CV, motivation letter, summary of work experience). If the certified academic record is not in Catalan, Spanish or English, applicants should also attach a translation into one of these languages.
- 29 April 2020 - Call opening
- 29 May 2020 - Call deadline and presentation of the candidates
- June 2020 - Notification sent to successful candidates
Summer internships start as of 1st July 2020.
At the end of the internship, each student must prepare a summary report and send it to both the IRB Barcelona Academic Office at firstname.lastname@example.org, as well as the project supervisor.