We put together a classroom activity for secondary school teachers addressing fake news in science. The activity focuses on how to identify such news and where to find reliable sources of information.
During the activity, students will reflect on the the information published on social networks and use a methodology that will allow them to confirm its veracity. Students will be able to work with real news.
The activity aims to:
- Increase awareness of fake news
- Teach students to use a critical eye when reading information
- Provide students with tools that allow them to contrast the veracity of the information
The activity is structured as follows:
- Presentation of scientific news to students
- Search for information
- Sharing and discussion
- Final product
AAt IRB Barcelona, we are convinced that introducing scientific methodology and thinking during formal education can greatly contribute to building a more critical and informed citizenry.
This activity is designed for secondary school and Baccalaureate students
To carry out the classroom activity, the following material is available to teachers:
- Dossier for teachers
- Annex I: examples of fake news
- Annex II: worksheet
The documents can be downloaded upon completion of the form below.
* NOTE: The material is currently available only in Catalan. We hope to have the Spanish and English versions soon.
With the collaboration of: