ICREA Research Professor
Raúl Méndez studied Biology (Biochemistry) in the Autonomous University of Madrid. He obtained his PhD in 1993 for work carried out at the Centro de Biología Molecular Severo Ochoa under the supervision of César de Haro. He did postdoctoral work in the laboratory of Robert E. Rhoads at the Louisiana State University Medical Center (1994-1997) and then in the laboratory of Joel D. Richter (1997-2001) at the University of Massachusetts. In 2001 he joined the Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG) in Barcelona as a group leader. In 2010 his group moved to the Institute for Research in Biomedicine (IRB Barcelona), where he is a senior scientist and ICREA research professor. Since the time of his PhD work, his research has focused on how mRNAs are translated into proteins and how this process is regulated during cell division and differentiation.
Honors and awards
- Premio Carmen y Severo Ochoa de investigación en Biología Molecular, 2010.
- “ICREA professor” en la “ICREA Senior Call 2010”.
- Award“ Premio Ciudad de Barcelona” for research (2008).
- Nominated Singular Research Group by the Department of Universities of the Catalonian Government (DURSI).
- Ministerio de Ciencia y Tecnología (Program I3). (2006-2009).
- Ministerio de Ciencia y Tecnología (Program Ramón y Cajal). (2001-2006)
- Leukemia Society of America Special Fellow Award (1998-2001).
- Honorary Member of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology de Louisiana State University Medical School (1997).
- Postdoctoral Research Fellowship from the Formación de Personal Investigador, Ministerio de Educación y Ciencia, Spain (1994-1995).
- Research Fellowship from the Formación de Personal Investigador, Comunidad Autónoma de Madrid, Spain (1989-1993).
- Research Fellowship from the Universidad Autónoma de Madrid/Caja de Ahorros de Madrid, Spain (1986-1988).