The “A Future in Biomedicine” Programme is aimed at outstanding and highly motivated students in the last year of their degree. Students should show a strong interest in the fields of biology, biomedicine, chemistry, physics, pharmacy, structural biology, computational sciences, or other related areas.
IRB Barcelona is looking for young undergraduate students enrolled in local universities who wish to carry out a research project at the institute from September 2021 to July 2022. The selected students will work with IRB Barcelona scientists on diverse topics addressed by the research groups at the institute. The students will be mentored by a senior researcher and will also have the opportunity to participate in the activities undertaken at the institute during their stay.
The best students of the programme will be preselected by IRB Barcelona and invited to enter the selection procedure for the Molecular Mechanisms of Disease MsC Programme, led by the Radboud Institute of Molecular Life Sciences (The Netherlands).
We offer a total of five grants to carry out a research project with one of the following groups:
- Comparative Genomics
- Structural Bioinformatics & Network Biology
- Research Unit on Asymmetric Synthesis
- Microtubule Organization
- Amino Acid Transporters and Disease
- Signalling and Cell Cycle Laboratory
- Translational Control of Cell Cycle and Differentiation
- Biomedical Genomics
A grant agreement regulating the internship will be signed by the university in which the student is enrolled, IRB Barcelona, and the student.
IRB Barcelona will provide awardees with additional complementary training opportunities.
The project supervisor at IRB Barcelona will provide awardees with a reference letter upon completion of the programme.
Participation in the “A Future in Biomedicine” Programme does not imply any contractual relationship between the awardee and IRB Barcelona.
Students will spend up to 20 h per week in an IRB Barcelona lab during the last year of their undergraduate studies (Academic year 2021/2022), upon agreement with the project supervisor at the institute.
Awardees will receive a stipend of €200 gross per month. IRB Barcelona will provide medical and accident insurance.
The “A Future in Biomedicine” Programme has been designed to encourage and further the education of young emerging researchers in biomedical research. The programme is addressed to students who fulfil the following:
- Completion of at least 180 ECTS credits of a BSc degree in Biology, Pharmacy, Mathematics, Structural Biology, Physics, Biomedicine, Medicine, Chemistry, or related fields by September 2021. Students who receive the grants are expected to have completed undergraduate studies by July 2022.
- Enrolment in a local university. Exceptions for non-local students can be made if their study plan and university guidelines allow them to do an internship under the conditions of this call. These cases will be treated individually.
- Minimum BSc Average mark of 7/10.
- Good knowledge of English
Candidates will be selected exclusively on merit, on the basis of academic records, motivation letter, as well as other criteria, such as internationalisation, previous research experience, and letter of reference. No selection criteria for positive or negative discrimination will be applied.
Applicants should send the documents listed below to firstname.lastname@example.org before the deadline (see below), indicating “A Future in Biomedicine candidacy” in the subject box.
- A scanned copy of the applicant’s certified Academic Record. These documents must show the grades attained in exam periods
- Additional certificates, prizes, and recognitions
- Motivation letter
- A letter of reference from university lecturers or scientists with whom the applicant has studied or worked. Letters must be sent to email@example.com. Only letters with an official letterhead and signature will be accepted.
Applicants should indicate in the e-mail up to two research groups in which they would like to work (in order of preference). Moreover, if interested in a particular research group, they should refer to it in the motivation letter. More information on the research activities of each group can be found on the IRB Barcelona website.
Referees must send their letters directly to IRB Barcelona to the address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Only letters with an official letterhead and signature will be accepted. Applicants are responsible for ensuring that their referees send the letter. Applications not accompanied by this letter will not be processed.
Applicants should submit information wherever possible in English (CV, motivation letter, summary of work experience). If the certified Academic Record is not in Catalan, Spanish, or English, applicants should also attach a translation into one of these languages.
- 10 May 2021 - Call opening
- 23 June 2021 - Call deadline and preselection of the candidates
- July 2021 - Notification of selection results and start of the programme
- September 2021 - Beginning of the internship
- July 2022 - Receipt of students' summary reports*
*At the end of the internship, awardees must send a summary report to IRB Barcelona’s Academic Office at email@example.com, as well as to the project supervisor. Students will present their research project undertaken over the academic year in an open seminar organised for the IRB Barcelona community.