For the 2022-2023 academic year, IRB Barcelona is offering up to 17 PhD fellowships for young scientists from the national and international community who wish to undertake a doctoral degree in biomedicine. We encourage applications from highly motivated graduates with outstanding qualifications in biology, chemistry, biochemistry, physics, pharmacology, computational biology or related fields. Successful candidates will join research groups headed by top-level scientists and will carry out their research in cutting-edge fields of biomedicine in a stimulating environment.
The following will be offered in this call:
- Up to 4 fellowships associated with the “Contratos Predoctorales para la Formación de Doctores (FPI)” 2022 call assigned to the Severo Ochoa Accreditation funded by the “Ministerio de Ciencia e Innovación (MICINN)” (herein referred to as Severo Ochoa fellowships).
- Up to 6 fellowships associated with the “Ayudas para contratos predoctorales para la formación de doctores” 2022 call funded by the “Ministerio de Ciencia e Innovación (MICINN)” (herein referred to as FPI Project fellowships).
- 1 fellowship funded by the Cris Cancer Foundation Excellence 2020 program at the Quantitative Stem Cell Dynamics lab, directed by Alejo E. Rodriguez-Fraticelli, "SYSTEMS ANALYSIS OF THERAPY-RESISTANCE IN ACUTE MYELOID LEUKEMIA".
- 1 fellowship funded by the La Marató Foundation at the Microtubule Organization lab, directed by Jens Lüders, under the project grant #202019-30-31-32, "Linking cellular defects with clinical manifestations in Cohen Syndrome".
Check out IRB Barcelona groups participating in this frame:
- Núria López-Bigas - Biomedical Genomics
- Cayetano González - Cell Division Laboratory
- Marco Milan - Development and Growth Control Laboratory
- Cristina Mayor-Ruiz - Targeted protein degradation and drug discovery
- Salvador Aznar-Benitah - Stem Cells and Cancer
- Alejo E. Rodriguez-Fraticelli - Quantitative Stem Cell Dynamics
- Ángel Nebreda- Signalling and Cell Cycle Laboratory
- Francesc Posas and Eulàlia de Nadal - Cell Signalling
- Antoni Riera - Research Unit on Asymmetric Synthesis
- Patrick Aloy - Structural Bioinformatics and Network Biology
- Fran Supek - Genome Data Science
- Modesto Orozco - Molecular Modelling and Bioinformatics
- Antonio Zorzano - Complex Metabolic Diseases and Mitochondria
- Maria J. Macias - Structural Characterization of Macromolecular Assemblies
- Lluís Ribas - Gene Translation Laboratory
- Toni Gabaldón - Comparative Genomics
- Jens Lüders - Microtubule Organization
- Manuel Palacín - Amino Acid Transporters and Disease
- Xavier Salvatella - Laboratory of Molecular Biophysics
- Direna Alonso-Curbelo - Inflammation, Tissue Plasticity & Cancer
- The programme is aimed at students who have completed one of the following options by September 2022:
- studies that lead to an official Spanish (or from another country of the European Higher Education Area) university degree in Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Pharmacy, Physics, Medicine, Chemistry or related fields and that have 300 credits (ECTS), of which at least 60 must correspond to master level.
- a degree in a non-Spanish university not adapted to the European Higher Education Area and that gives access to doctoral studies in Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Pharmacy, Physics, Medicine, Chemistry or related fields in Spain.
- Candidates are selected exclusively on merit, on the basis of their curricula. The academic grades and curriculum vitae of each applicant are evaluated, as well as recommendation letters and a motivation letter. No selection criteria for positive or negative discrimination are applied.
How to apply
Applicants should complete and submit the online form. More information regarding the application can be found in the “Useful Information” tab.
Those applying also for the IRB_DREAM programme need only submit a single application, which will be considered by the different calls.
Applicants will be asked to upload the following documents in English: *Please note that all the documents provided should be in PDF format.
- Curriculum vitae
- A motivation letter (maximum 2 pages) highlighting your research experience and academic achievements and explaining why you are interested in IRB Barcelona and in a particular research group.
- A scanned copy of the student’s certified Academic Record. These documents must show the grades attained in exam periods. If the certified academic records are not in Spanish or English applicants should also attach a translation in one of the above mentioned languages.
- Any additional files considered relevant to the application
- Two recommendation letters from university lecturers or scientists with who the applicant has studied or worked. Candidates are responsible for ensuring that referees submit these letters. Applications not supported by these letters will not be eligible.
Please indicate the Research Node(s) to which you wish to apply (up to 3).
- Chemical and Structural Biology
- Cell Pathophysiology
- Computational Biology
- Invertebrate Models of Disease
- Preclinical Models of Cancer
- Preclinical Models of Disease
More information on the research activities of each group can be found on the IRB Barcelona webpage.
For more information, please, contact email@example.com.
Students are selected from a pool of highly qualified international applicants on the basis of academic and technical excellence.
Applications will be reviewed by a selection committee consisting of IRB Barcelona group leaders and members of the IRB Barcelona PhD Advisory Committee. Short-listed candidates will receive invitations to visit IRB Barcelona for interviews during March 2022. Travel expenses will be reimbursed and accommodation will be provided. Teleconference interviews will be used only for candidates with prior commitments that cannot be rearranged and that thus prevent them from travelling to Barcelona.
Offers of admission will be made to the successful candidates shortly after the interview period. Students should expect to take up their positions at IRB Barcelona from September 2022.
Applicants who have not been successful but who have received a positive evaluation will be put on a waiting list to cover possible renunciations and future positions.
Call opening: 15 October 2021
Deadline for candidacies: 10 December 2021
Deadline for referees: 12 December 2021
Remote evaluation: 21 January 2022
Group Leader Panel presentations: 24 February 2022
Interviews at IRB: 7-8-9 March 2022
Notification to candidates: 11 March 2022
Start date of fellowships: from September 2022